Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mind as well ask a question for once instead of answering them– Okay this might sound like a stupid question - (but my first grade teacher so many years ago told me there is no such thing as stupid questions, so :p )

So when do you usually take your hedgie out and play or hold them? The thing that prompted me to ask this question is the recent TV questions about hibernation, etc. Does taking them out to play during the day throw off that schedule as well?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I take Sonic out at 8:00pm for bonding time and the lights are still on. Then at 9 the lights go off and don't come back on. When cage cleaning day comes I wake him up at 2:00pm to wash his fleece and clean his bin out. If taken out during the day they will still know it's day. They will only attempt hibernation if they aren't getting enough light (12-14 hours) or of course it's too cold.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I take mine out whenever I want. Never before noon... simply because I'm doing stuff and can't... and I do want them to get some decent sleep. I USUALLY wait until about 4... but if I'm going to run errands and it's 2pm then I'll get them up and take them with me :).

So long as you're not forcing them to stay awake during the day you should be fine (which wouldn't cause a hibernation attempt.. it would just be mean lol) :).

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Yup, like JulieAnne said. :) You can take them out during the day, but you need to make sure they're still getting their sleep. Also judge by their behavior if you take them out - some don't mind a daytime snuggle session, as long as they get to sleep, some like adventures in the form of leaving the house for errands, some think you're Satan himself for waking them during the day. :lol: The main thing is not keeping them from getting enough sleep constantly.

Reactions: Tom
1 - 4 of 4 Posts