Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two hedgies are doing fine on dry cat food mixture based on info from HHC.
However we are not doing so good with snacks. So far they only eat mealies from my hand or in their snack dis.

We have tried: watermelon, cantaloup, green peppers, broccoli, bananna. Not a nibble except for the broccoli which resulted in annointing and no further nibbles.

Tonight we are trying a little cooked chicken breast.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try Gerber baby meat sticks. Ivan loves them! They make a chicken and carrot one. It's the only way that I can sneak something even remotely resembling a vegetable into Ivan's diet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for both suggestions. :D

I forgot about the scrambled eggs. I eat them a couple of times per week myself. LOL

I will check out the meat sticks next shopping day.

Picky little buggers. :roll:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Soprano,

I had canned crickets. Jeesh those things were huge and the legs were all full of stickers. They chewed on the crickets. I found legs all over and it was the most gross thing I have ever seen in my life. I was worried the legs would get stuck in their throats and choke them. I can just tolerate touching and dividing up canned mealies.

I don't eat beef either. At least it does not come with the legs still attached.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Haha. Yeah crickets are gross. I bought some live ones and Quigley didn't know what to do with it. The cricket hopped right under Quigley's nose and stayed there, nothing happened. Once I froze them Quigley liked them much better but he insists on putting the whole thing in his mouth and then chomping. Bug guts squirt out everywhere (sort of like biting into a tomatoe). ICK!!!! lol but it is so cute to watch him chomp it up and he loves them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Some hedgies just are not into trying new foods! My hedgie is like this. She even refuses mealworms. Eventually I will find something she likes!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The only snack Nigel likes is the Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea canned food. It takes forever to go through a small can, but he gets so excited when he smells it. I warm it just a bit in the microwave before I give it to him. He seems to prefer it warm as opposed to room temp. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
hedgielover said:
Haha. Yeah crickets are gross. I bought some live ones and Quigley didn't know what to do with it. The cricket hopped right under Quigley's nose and stayed there, nothing happened. Once I froze them Quigley liked them much better but he insists on putting the whole thing in his mouth and then chomping. Bug guts squirt out everywhere (sort of like biting into a tomatoe). ICK!!!! lol but it is so cute to watch him chomp it up and he loves them.
I never knew how ferocious a hedgehog could be, until I opened up that can of crickets!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The cooked chicken was the biggest hit with one hedgie out of two. My female, Tanya, scarfed down tiny bits of chicken. I had more but I stopped as this was the first time she had eaten chicken and I wanted to make sure that it agreed with her.

My male, Lenny, ate one piece and then refused any more chicken. He almost annointed. LOL

Next try, scrambled eggs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Turkey, chicken, and scrambled eggs are a hit here. As far as fruits and veggies,
watermelon, pears, sweet tasting apples (no grannies), cantalope, and sweet potatoes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, female ate scrambled eggs but just a tiny bit. Male did not like them.
Next is the meat sticks.

·
Administrator
3,645 Posts
Are you trying items more than once? Sometimes they will resist a new food the first couple of times then decide to eat them. You may also find that they just won't eat anything else. I've had a few now that will only eat kibble and mealworms. And one of those wouldn't touch mealworms for the first 4 years of his life. Suddenly one day he decided to try them and loved them!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've got a picky eater, too. And he won't eat treats out of my hand at all. If he eats during the day (like after a bonding session) he'll eat his crunchies, but that's it.

He loves scrambled eggs and banana. I've tried the freeze dried meal worms the last couple nights and he ignores them. I put them in the dish with the eggs and banana. He eats around them.

I am on the hunt for live MW in town, but slowly. I don't know if I can handle crickets. I hate crickets.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Things I've tried so far with my one boy:

Kibble - well, obviously his normal food, but he eats it so I included it :)

Freeze Dried Mealies - took a few days and a few tries, but likes them now. Will still refuse them on occasion if he's not in the mood.

Freeze Dried Crickets - same as mealies, but seems to like them more than mealies!

Cherries - licking, annoiting, and that's it

Banana - little lick, then ignored it

Scrambled Eggs - nothing, no lick, no annoiting. I don't even he thinks they are food :p

Cooked Ground Turkey - OMG LOVE LOVE LOVE. I have never seen him eat so much of something so fast :lol: It was like his ideal treat :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I finally tried those baby food chicken sticks and he loves them. He's getting plenty of protein and loves his bananas/melon, now I have to figure out how to get some veggies in. I've got some peas I need to cook and get all nice and mushy.

Jodi

1 - 20 of 27 Posts