Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got my hedghog and the previous owner neglested to tell me if or even for that matter that he'd need bathing... so i've mark sunday night as tims first bath night. but i need help with certain aspects. should i leave the lights off for it?
-what kinda of soap should i use (preferably a brand i can aquire in canada)
-what temperature should his bath be at
-and how should i dry him
-towel
-naturally over time
-etc.

thank you very your consideration :mrgreen:

·
Registered
86 Posts
No soap, you need plane oat meal, a sock/panty houes, and make sure they water is not to hott-run it and agust it to what is comfortably warm on the inside part of your wrist, make sure since its his first bath to not make the water too deep-about to his belly is good.

put some oatmeal in the sock or panty houes and tie it off so that you have a sack of oatmeal, then squeeze it in the water until the water gets real cloudy, then put your hedgie in and wash im :D
when your done, dab him dry with a small blanket and make sure he stays warm afterwords.

good luck

·
Registered
274 Posts
His water should be warm, id bath him in a dimly lit room, i bath my lil one in a sink basin, i use oatmeal in the water at the moment because he is quilling and just plain water for his poopy feet bath. Dont make it too deep and dont use a towel to dry him because the threads can get caught on their feet and hurt them. Just use a blankie or fleece to dry him.
On brands i cant say because i'm from UK so brands are different over here. But i use an unfragranced no tears baby shampoo. Give him a foot bath whenever his feet a dirty with dry poop, i've given Turbo 2 in the time i've had him and 1 full proper bath.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Any sort of shampoo or soap is bad to use. You can use the plain oatmeal, or use something similar to Aveeno oatmeal wash. Also, it will help dry skin if you pop open a flax seed capsule into a small container, add in some water, then dribble that over your hedgie's back for added moisturizer.

As for temp, I usually use slightly warmer than lukewarm. Whatever you do, make sure you TEST IT first. Dip the underside of your wrist into the water to test how "comfortable" it is against your skin. It IS possible to burn your hedgie just from hot tap water, it has been done, so always test the water first.

For my boy, I usually have a towel beside the sink to get the initial excess moisture off of him. Once he's no longer dripping, I'll move him onto his big fleece blanket, and just sit with him either beside me or in my lap. I usually let my boy dry naturally while cuddling with me for the added warmth. There seem to be some who use blowdriers, but I'm not sure how well that would be, or if you'd just end up scaring your hedgie too much. I usually have the extra time to let my boy cuddle with me anyways, so I stick to letting him naturally dry while cuddling.

And you don't need to turn off the lights. You can dim them if you think he will be more comfortable.

Also...Depending on where you're bathing...If in a sink, I would suggest putting down a layer of fleece down at the bottom, or some sort of rubber mat, just so he won't slip and slide as you're giving him the bath. The fleece at the bottom also works great for foot only baths. As you would just fill with enough water to soak the fleece and let your hedgie walk over it without him getting wet, while cleaning off the poop boots.

If you have further questions, try doing a search(upper right corner) for bathing, aveeno oatmeal, flax seed. Lots of information there ^_^

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you i feel better about this bath already! any kind of oatmeal huh? ok good i just happen to have a huge bag of it that hasnt been touch yet in my pantry :mrgreen:

·
Registered
902 Posts
FiaSpice said:
Cromz said:
thank you i feel better about this bath already! any kind of oatmeal huh? ok good i just happen to have a huge bag of it that hasnt been touch yet in my pantry :mrgreen:
I would use plain oatmeal, you don't want a cinamon-flavored hedgie :lol:
hahaha mmmm but he would smell SOOO good!! My little guy is so edibly-cute in the first place...gosh I love him! (Riley)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts