Hedgehog Central banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
When I tell people that I am buying things for my hedgehog, they either dont care at all or they are a little interested. They usually say, "I didn't know that they could be pets."

So, I am back home now. The hedgehog cages looked like they haven't been cleaned for like 2 days. They didn't look well cared for, and I was really mad at my mom. We had a little fight on the phone, and as bad as it sounds I had to hang up on her and turn the answering machine off.

She was saying things like, "When we move into Fred's house (my moms been dating him for awhile) you will need to get rid of them because they smell so bad. The smell of the amonia in the urine will make you end up in the hospital. Why do you even love them so much. They dont have feelings, and can't love you." After that last sentence, I had no choice to hang up and walk away.

She called back and I didn't answer. Then called again a few minutes later, and I turned the answer machine on. She left a message, saying sorry I upset you, and we will talk later. And then she called again, an I answered...She was saying that we will see how the purifier works. :)

We cleaned everything really good and I put the purifier upstairs. It works really good! My grandma came upstairs last night and said that she could only smell it a little!

Next time we leave on vacation, they are going to a pet sitter. My mom sucks at being a hedgie sitter, and that is ok, but she will not pet sit for me and my sisters again.

Thanks for everyone's help. It is very appreciated. :)

· Registered
5,081 Posts
I am so sorry your mom is being so rude to you. :cry: It is really offensive, regardless if they actually are that bad.

I wonder why she complains about the "ammonia" all the time? I have never ever associated hedgehog urine to smell like ammonia. Mice and rats, definitely, and even moreso because they are kept on shavings (well mine are). Hedgie urine just kind of has a... "sweet" smell to it. Not like yummy sweet but more sugary than acidic. I dunno.

The air purifier should really help. You will probably be able to smell them a tiny bit when you are close to the cage, but overall it shouldn't be anywhere near as bad.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.