Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hedgehog that doesn't ball up when you clip his nails but rather squirms because he wants to run around. So last night I was clipping his toes and I think I may have cut too close and he was bleeding from one of his toes. I know I didn't get his entire toe because there is still nail left. It stopped bleeding in a couple of minutes and he was walking like nothing even happened the whole time. Should I be concerned or will it be okay?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
It sounds like you just cut the quick, which happens to everyone at one time or another. As long as it's not bleeding anymore, it will heal up and be fine. :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It might also be a good idea to take his wheel out for a night or two, just to make sure he doesn't stress the nail too much while it heals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you sooo much. I didn't sleep well last night because I was worried. I am used to ferrets that you can scruff and not have to worry about that kind of thing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've done this on accident once since my hedge is such a squirmer. If it happens again just dampen a bit of flour and smear that over her toe.

One other time I thought I had clipped her toenail WAY too short because there was blood all over her foot. Turns out I had clipped my own finger and was so nervous about cutting her I didn't notice. :roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts