Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time finding one that looks right. Of course when you enter thermometer you will get thousands of chooses, then you have to narrow them by picking a category, and still I never find one that looks appropriate. I see some people with ones that stick on the inside of their cages. I managed to find two thermometers on ebay, however, they dont look like the apprpriate ones, however I still need one for my room anyway, so in actuality I need two, since the room adjacent to me is where my fur animals stay. Can you tell me what brand/name of thermometer you are using? The sticky has a link where to get almost everything to heat up a hedgie cage except a link for that. I am buying things little by little to set it up. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have 4 or 5 different thermometers that I had some real issues with and it took a while to find this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Chaney-Instrument ... 38&sr=8-13

but it is seriously the best thermometer I've tried and totally worth the money. It has a feature that allows you to see the highest and lowest temperatures that the thermometer recorded since the last time you "cleared it out". For instance, I clear the temperatures out every morning, and then the next day, I can look at the thermometer and see what the highest temperature in the cage were, and the lowest, too. It's extremely handy if you are paranoid like me and think hedgie is going to try to hibernate every night. :lol: It also has a backlight which is nice for at night. Plus! It's an indoor/outdoor thermometer, so it has a small wire attached to it with a sensor at the end, so you can put the thermometer itself near the cage, and the sensor IN the cage, and you can see what the difference between the room temp and the temp in the cage is.

I highly recommend it. :D There's nothing about it that I don't like, lol.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The problem I've found with probe ones are that they only measure the temperature of where the probe is, and unless you have them on all of the time, they take a while to finally settle on a temperature. I use an infrared thermometer for my little guy. It's quick, accurate, and I can get instant readings for any spot in his pen. The only drawback is that it takes the reading on the surface it's pointed at instead of an ambient temperature, but since that's where the little guy is walking around and sleeping, it makes sense to me to measure it there. I just have a generic one that I grabbed off of eBay for pretty cheap but it's accurate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered the first one from the link, but if all else fails I'll try the others. I think I will look up the infared one. Thanks all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts