Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how to determine pinto markings. I have read topics that state "high white" quite a bit, just wondering what that means. We have a pinto boy that is for sale and from the middle of his back forward is dark, and the back half of him is white. I will try to get a good picture of his marking to post.

Also, our little 3 1/2 month old female that we can't determine her color is not getting any darker. I did post pictures recently in another topic. Her nose is light brown, her quills are a light pale cream/orange in color.[attachment=0:1ghqvytx]Poppy.jpg[/attachment:1ghqvytx]

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. We have been told apricot, champagne, and a light cinnicot.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I'm not sure about the color of your little girl. She is adorable though!

"High pinto" though is just a stupid way of some breeders trying to make certain hedgies look special. There is no difference. Pinto is pinto, not high pinto, tobiano pinto, or anything like that. It's like calling a syrian hamster a "teddy bear" hamster, it's just a marketing ploy to make them sound more desirable and to make more money off of them. :/

·
Registered
902 Posts
Good to know, LizardGirl. This reminds me, I wanted to read up on coloring. I saw another person post that "salt & pepper" wasn't a correct term either.

Still working on my ADOS. (attention deficit oooh shiny! syndrome)
**edit** Oh wow, ok reading up on colors was a big mistake, I WANT THEM ALL NOW. Kidding, I love my two babies but wow what a variance and such cute pictures on the Hedgehog Central site! Oh and I don't know what I saw about salt&pepper but its listed there as a color. *shrug*

I'm most attracted to the dark masked little guys, reminds me of raccoons I think. Too cute.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you LG for explaining that. It helps knowing when someone is speaking of High White Pinto that it is just a marketing ploy with people looking to make more money and it is no different than any other Pinto Marked Hedghog.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Haha, no problem. It's just a pet peeve to see some breeders trying to get extra money out of a hedgie that has the exact same type of marking, only happened to get more of it. :roll:

Salt and pepper is a color, but it is extremely rare. I don't even know if the picture listed there is an actual salt and pepper, looks too light to me.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Actually a high white pinto is different than a pinto. A high white pinto means they have a large amount of white on them as opposed to a pinto that have smaller pinto markings. They are all pintos but high white describes more white or mostly white.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Nancy said:
Actually a high white pinto is different than a pinto. A high white pinto means they have a large amount of white on them as opposed to a pinto that have smaller pinto markings. They are all pintos but high white describes more white or mostly white.
Is high white pinto and Uber pinto the same?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Thanks LG its confusing :? :lol:
This is what i read in a few different places
"Uber Pinto - This is another pattern and is a form of albinism. If an animal has more than 50% white quills or has unusual pinto face markings we consider this an "Uber" pinto."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts