Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a three-month-old boy that I have had for a little less than a week. He is REALLY nervous and tying to bond with him has been a slow and rather frustrating process. I usually take an hour out of the day and set him on my bed with me. He gets up and walks around and even eats a few meal worms. However the second I touch him he balls up and starts huffing. How did you guys get your hedgehog to trust you? What are some tips to help him bond with me?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Patience is key. You've only had him for a less than a week. He's probably really stressed out and being nervous is normal. It can take months to bond with a hedgehog. Just give him time. Keep doing what you're doing, but make sure he's not getting too stressed. My hedgehog, whom I've had for over a year, simply doesn't like to be touched. Some hedgehogs are just like that. They're patience pets, and a lot of them are not cuddly. Some of them are, some of them aren't! And I think that's what makes them special. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
As already said, patience is key. Keep trying.
A good way do bond is to have hedgie in a blanket or pouch on you while you watch tv or whatever, and let hedgie sleep on you - that way he gets familiar to your smell, and get comfortable with you :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
By being patient. He has only been with you for a week. I think he's really stressed and nervous. Bonding with a hedgehog can take months. Be patient with him. You should keep doing what you're doing, but make sure he doesn't get too stressed. My hedgehog, whom I've had for over a year, does not like being handled. There are some hedgehogs that hate being handled. Many of them aren't cuddly, and at printman reviews, they are patient pets. But there are a few that are! They are special that way. A good way of bonding is to place hedgie in a blanket or pouch on your lap while you watch television, and let him sleep on you - that way he gets familiar with your smell, and gets used to you. However, the second I touch him, he starts huffing. Where did you guys find the confidence to trust you with your hedgehog? How can I bond better with him?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a three-month-old boy that I have had for a little less than a week. He is REALLY nervous and tying to bond with him has been a slow and rather frustrating process. I usually take an hour out of the day and set him on my bed with me. He gets up and walks around and even eats a few meal worms. However the second I touch him he balls up and starts huffing. How did you guys get your hedgehog to trust you? What are some tips to help him bond with me?
When we got our badge hog she was just a baby too, and she was really nervous and ever time we would touch her she would do the same thing. Eventually I learned that if everyone u take her out you let her sniff you she will get to know you and your sent better

·
Registered
1 Posts
He needs more affection and love from you. Maybe he is not used to someone touching him and firstly needs to feel your love and care from a distance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts