Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We used to have lizards so we have a heating lamp, but it needs to be plugged in and I live in an area that has frequent power outages during the winter. I can use it during the summer and spring but I'd also like to have a source of heating that doesn't rely on power. Are there battery-powered heating devices? Or can I use those 6 hour heating things you put in gloves for skiing?
Any tips?

·
Registered
651 Posts
friendofelves said:
We used to have lizards so we have a heating lamp, but it needs to be plugged in and I live in an area that has frequent power outages during the winter. I can use it during the summer and spring but I'd also like to have a source of heating that doesn't rely on power. Are there battery-powered heating devices? Or can I use those 6 hour heating things you put in gloves for skiing?
Any tips?
I'm a new hedgie owner too but since I just recently went through the whole heaitng ordeal I can give it a shot :lol: Those heating things that you put in your gloves are good to have on hand in case of emergencies (vet trips, warming up a hibernating hedgie, or even a major power outage) but as a regular heating supply I've learned that any sort of heating pad is not a good idea since it doesn't heat the air, only the ground and the hedgies actually get colder when they're not on the heating pad, since the rest of the enclosure will feel colder on their little feet in comparison. Plus those things can get quite hot, up to 150F I believe so unless covered by some sort of blanket they can actually burn your hedgie.

The heating lamp from the lizards is actually the best, I'm guessing it's a ceramic heat emitter? I know you're worried about power outages but I'm not sure if they make battery-powered ones. Maybe someone else knows. If the power outages are very frequent, perhaps you could invest in a back-up power generator instead. Something like this: http://www.duracellpower.com/backup-pow ... -400.aspxI which can power your heat lamp when the power does go out.

If you do decide to go with the ceramic heat emitter, you want to plug it into a thermostat/temperature controller which will turn it on when it's too cold, and off when it's too hot (you can set the temperature on the device). This thread discusses the different brands you can use: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1337&p=11519&hilit=ceramic+heaters#p11519 I just bought a zoomed repti-temp 500R which seems to work great, but you have to make sure your ceramic heat bulb has enough wattage to actually get the enclosure warm enough. Digital thermometers are a must too to monitor the temperatue!

As far as power outages go here's a link to a topic about emergency heating: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=325 It also has some links to some heaters than can be used during a power outage so you might want to take a look at those too!

Hope that helps a little bit! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts