Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a baby hedgehog within 15 days, hopefully sooner! I was needing some hedgehog owner experts to critique my cage.

Note:I am going to drill some ventilation holes as well as cut a hole in the lid

there are fleece strips in the igloo
also
complete with cat lovers soul in the corner :mrgreen:

i forgot the tube

well...what do you think?
Oh, and if you can think of a good name for a hedgehog male or female that would be awesome!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It looks great! I think it'll be a very comfortable home for your new baby! :)
The only thing I'd like to caution you about is the plastic cat ball I see in there. The holes that are in that would be possible for the hedgehog to get its' lower jaw caught in, so it's not safe for hedgies. Balls to play with are fine, as long as they're solid or have holes that aren't big enough to get their jaw into.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a ferret ball, i was gonna put its treats in it. Do you still think it is unsafe?
and as for the fabric thank you, it has robots,ufos and spaceships on it.Ive always wanted to be an astronaught :D

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Your setup looks great, good job. :)

Yes, I would take out the cat ball. Selena from Hurricane Hedgehogs has a picture of one with severe jaw injuries from getting caught in gaps on a cat ball similar to that. I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Very snuggly, I like that the bed is separate from the wheel, the wheels get so messy. I keep the food and water away from the wheel as well, for that reason. I just don't like the thought of poop possibly getting into it. Maybe move food and water into the bed side? Then his exercise area would just have toys and wheel.

I am new, though so its only a 2-bit opinion. Very cute bedding! A very lucky hedgie, indeed.

Lilysmommy, thanks for the heads-up, I saw those balls and was tempted to get one as well. I didn't think about their jaws. Are there any that you have found you would recommend? Can they use the tiny-kongs for dogs as a treat dispenser? (my dogs love kongs)

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is a great setup but I did notice it's under a window which could get drafty for you little friend.
I'd love to make this sort of a cage myself,
if you wouldn't mind making me a short list of materials (minus liners and toys) I'd be greatly appreciative!

This cage is REALLY well done. :D I hope I can replicate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.