Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do they normally do during a wellness checkup? do you do blood work? feces to check for parasites? overall what do you look for in a good vet with hedgehogs? and whats the average cost for a wellness checkup????

thanks in advance!!! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so for a wellness check they should always do atleast 2 test?!?!
- fecal for parasites
- skin scraping for mites and/or fungus

i called 2 vets in the area, told me to just see the hedgehog is $75, and a complete wellness check up is from $250 to $300... thats alot!!!

then i called the other vet which is where i take my sugar gliders, he is GREAT with animals but not with people, i never understand him!!! he works with the zoo, and parrot jungle. so he is good with animals. they told me them its $65 to go over the basic and check for parasites...

i'm not looking for the cheapest vet, but i really think 300 is alot for a scheduled wellness check thats why i want the average cost.

i think i'm just going to go with the vet i know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so for hedgies do you think that blood work is something that should be do with a wellness check or is it something that is done if that basic dont seem right ?

like i know with the sugar gliders they check the basic: weight, fur, nose, eyes, etc.. overall see if everything looks normal and does a fecal. then if something is not right then we go into other things...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.