Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had Michael for a while now, about a month and I cant for the life of me figure out his coloring. I know he is pinto but he has a very faint mask and his ears are black. His quills that are colored look brown to me and there are white mixed with the brown.... Anyways here are some pics. Thanks for your helP! :D

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
He's really cute! :D I love the one of him on his back, looking up at the camera!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Reaper! Its been killing me since I got him. I knew he was pinto, but I didnt even think to ask specifically the color... :oops:

Lillysmommy- Thanks! I like when he goes into what I call his "happy ball" too, but he doesnt do it very often. I dont know how to make him do that and hes very stubborn...lol. He is a cuddler and would much rather snuggle in his fleecy sack on my lap and sleep- or eat his mealies :lol:- or even swim in the bath. He loves his bath time every day!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Reaper said:
White Bellied Chocolate Chip Pinto.
Really? Jade must be a chocolate chip then, cuz the quills look alike(besiedes the pinto). I never asked her colour tho, always just assumed she was an alg. chocolate

·
Registered
543 Posts
Bryan and I actually disagree on this one. More pics LOL. Bryan says Algerian Dark grey snowflake pinto. Only a snowflake if he has 30%-50% white quills everywhere except the all white pinto areas. What color would you say his nose is? Black, Brown, or Liver ? Bryan of course is the master.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont wash him everyday, just let him swim for about 10 mins or so for extra exercise. He doesnt even get fully wet, but I will cut down to a couple times a week if it will make his skin dry. He really loves bath time.

Reaper, He does have white quills mixed in with the colored ones, definitely not 50% but maybe about 30% seems right. About every 3 or so quills are plain white in the colors. If I had to go with a nose color, I would say liver. Its for sure not black.... let me add some more pics for you... these are all the other michael pics I have for now. I can take more when he wakes up tonight if you need me to...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I cannot even begin to express how cute he is! I am going to come and steal him! I absolutely love his color, whatever it is!!

Is he named after Michael Jackson?

·
Registered
395 Posts

WANNABE HEDGEHOG!

anyway, i was only advising that it MAY cause dry skin. I know some hedgies love bath time and that is excellent and he should be allowed to do what he loves, but if his skin does start to get dry i would reduce the baths, if he has been fine with them so far, keep doing it if you feel like it. Also if his skin does get dry, or right after a bath to prevent dry skin, put flax seed oil on his back. 2-3 drops and it will come off in the next bath. That will keep his skin nice and moist.

Also feeding him a food with flax seed oil in it, or adding some flax seed oil to his food will help keep his skin moist.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Callie255- Thanks! No he isnt named after Michael Jackson, I was holding him at the breeders house and the name Michael just came to me... dont ask me how or why cuz I still dont know, but it suits him.... :lol: I couldnt in a MILLION years let ya take him. Hes like the perfect cuddly hedge. Exactly what i was looking for. I can,however give you the breeders number.... heehe :lol: :mrgreen:

Azyrios- How did Boston get in here :oops: Thats one of my 6 hamsters, Boston. I mustve accidentally clicked her pic.... lol. I feed him- now that I have changed his food like five times, CSFCLS, natural balance green pea and duck, wellness and spikes delight. Do any of those have flax seed? Otherwise, Ia m up for adding another food to his diet. If not, where can I buy just the oil? Is it at like GNC or something? I dont want him to have dry skin... I have it in winter and I am always itchy. Thanks for the heads up! This is why I came here! ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
stephanie said:
I feed him- now that I have changed his food like five times, CSFCLS, natural balance green pea and duck, wellness and spikes delight. Do any of those have flax seed? Otherwise, Ia m up for adding another food to his diet. If not, where can I buy just the oil? Is it at like GNC or something? I dont want him to have dry skin... I have it in winter and I am always itchy.
I feed my guys almost the exact same thing. While I don't think (although I could be wrong) there is any flax seed in any of the foods, I have seen less and less dry skin (and we've had a rough winter here) since I started them on this mix 3 weeks ago.

As far as the flax seed, I've only seen it in dry cereal-like form and in the capsules you can get in any GNC/grocery store, but that doesn't mean it's not floating around somewhere in oil-form (perhaps the interwebs?). You can just pierce the capsule and squirt a few drops in your food mix and/or on your boys back (not a lot though because he can get greasy!). Just be warned that it will loosen his stool up a little bit, because, it is, after all, oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Sebian! I am not sure if Michael will eat the flax seed as he is VERY picky about his food.... He wont even eat fruits or veggies. Just his kibble and mealies- is that normal anyone?- I can try the dry cereal like stuff, I can get that at whole foods out here. I was just thinking the oil if I can put it directly on him he wont have the chance to bypass it for better tasting kibble :lol:

BTW- I see youre in NY- Are you a Yankees fan??? :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mine don't seem to mind the oil on the kibble at all. And both are rather picky. All you can do is see if yours does.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Reaper- I will definitely try the oil. Ill go buy some today!
BTW- did you or Bryan decide on his color yet? :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't think the flax seed oil has any taste (although, I haven't tested this). Just make sure you don't soak the kibble so they get all squishy and gross and he probably won't even notice. If he doesn't like it, you can always try the old oil-in-the-bath trick...

stephanie said:
BTW- I see youre in NY- Are you a Yankees fan??? :)
I'm originally from the south side of Chicago, so no, I don't like the Yankees. GO GO GO GO GO WHHIITTEEE SSSOOOXXXXX ;)

My husband, however, is a Mets fan, and his father is a Yankees fan. Go figure :roll: Luckily, the Yanks and the Sox only place each other twice a year and the Mets and the Sox only play each other like every 3 years :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hehe... I am in the chicago burbs but a lifelong Cubbies fan!! :lol: My backup is the Yankees! Thats so awesome you were from chi... I hate it here, and want to leave, but probably never will.... :roll:

·
Registered
543 Posts
*sigh* ..... Once again I am wrong. His nose is definitely dark enough to be a dark grey snowflake. Bryan is the master for a reason. I will keep learning........someday.....maybe someday............

·
Registered
395 Posts
stephanie said:
I feed him- now that I have changed his food like five times, CSFCLS, natural balance green pea and duck, wellness and spikes delight. Do any of those have flax seed?
Wellness contains a plethora of omega fatty acids which help keep skin moist, and natural balance has flax seed as one of the top 10 or so ingredients.

stephanie said:
If not, where can I buy just the oil? Is it at like GNC or something?
I just buy the flax seed oil capsules that you can find in the health section of a pharmacy. I poke a hole in one end and spread it on his back, then put a piece of tape over the hole and use it again the next night. After two days i discard it. I apply 1 drop to each shoulder and 1 to the middle of the back right after a bath and this will help moisten his skin. Vex won't eat his food if i put oil on it, and his food already contains omega fatty acids as well as flax seed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Reaper/Bryan! Im sorry you were wrong... :oops:

Thanks Azyrios... like I said, I will buy some caplets today when I go shopping. He doesnt do bath time til later anyways... :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts