Hedgehog Central banner

what cat litter should i use??

71K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  jngy slate 
#1 ·
what kind of cat litter is the #1 cat litter for hedgehogs. thanks,lauren

#4 ·
Most cat litters are too small to be safe for hedgehogs. The tiny pieces can get caught in sensitive areas of males especially, but even females. IMO, Yesterdays News is the only cat litter as it is large enough pieces not to get caught. :)

#6 ·
laurennicole said:
my sister uses tidy cats and she has a male and hes had that litter all his life and we had no problems.
No problems yet! I've never seen Tidy Cats that I can think of but if it's similar to most cat litter, I wouldn't risk using it.

#10 ·
No offense, but why didn't you ask him in the first place if you're not willing to listen to anyones advice on here? I'm pretty sure kitty litter falls under the same category as shavings - it CAN be used, but it's not suggested as it CAN have adverse effects on hedgie health. Just because you have a hedgie who's never had adverse effects doesn't mean it's safe. It's no different then me saying galloping my horse in pavement is safe just because she hasn't had an injury - yet! It's been known to cause issue in the past, and this is coming from very respected and responsible hedgie owners, so regardless of how good your vet is, the advice is coming from people who have experienced these situations.

A vet may have a degree, but that doesn't make him gospel. It's good to remember that. We put FAR to much profit in "professionals", when in many situations, ordinary experience is a much better teacher.

#15 ·
I was not judging him in anyway, I was not even saying he's wrong, I'm saying it's narrow minded and ignorant to automatically assume that just because he's a vet he must know better then all of these very good hedgie breeders and owners. It is a matter of opinion, and really, I'm a bit curious who this vet is. It seems that a #1 vet with tons of hedgehog experience wouldn't likely recommend something like this.

Quite frankly, I simply flat out do not understand the issue whatsoever. If there is even a CHANCE that this could affect hedgie health, why is your pet not so important to you that you'd switch to Yesterday News anyway, knowing there's NO chance it's going to be bad for him? I fed the same cow food sweet feed to my horses for years because my grandpa did (cheaper) before realizing that it contains 2% more protein then horse feeds should. Has anything bad happened in 20 years? No, but I am feeding normal horse feed now because I'd rather not take the risk, it simply isn't worth it to me.

I don't know, maybe I'm to animal obsessive. I like to ensure the best for my pets, and I don't understand people who argue vehmently when something may be bad for their pets. I suppose it's your choice. I'd just advise not always believeing vets 100%.

#16 ·
okay thats rude i am not narrow minded and ignorant!! yesterdays new has been swollowed by a hedgie and expanded in there stomic and KILLED this hedgie i will not give out the vets name or you will know where i live and i do not want to risk my life just to give out my vets name!! you did say he is wrong mabey you didnt exactly say he was wrong but you emplied it. I am thinking of leaving hhc just say the word and im gone because if i am not wanted on here ill leave!

#17 ·
I figured as much. I'd like to see the report/statistic where that happened to a hedgie. And really, are such theatrics really neccesary? You asked for opinions and were given them. Just because you did not like them is no reason to get all upset. I said he's yours and it's your decision what you do with him. I just personally don't believe in trusting vets 100%. Ok?

#19 ·
laurennicole said:
okay thats rude i am not narrow minded and ignorant!! yesterdays new has been swollowed by a hedgie and expanded in there stomic and KILLED this hedgie i will not give out the vets name or you will know where i live and i do not want to risk my life just to give out my vets name!! you did say he is wrong mabey you didnt exactly say he was wrong but you emplied it. I am thinking of leaving hhc just say the word and im gone because if i am not wanted on here ill leave!
I think you need to calm down a bit.
We should ask Nancy who has had alot of experience with hedgies.
I dont think theiris a better brand than yesterdays news.
Better to just use paper towels for his litter box less risk.
:)

#22 ·
*shrugs* It's up to you, not me. I never said I didn't want you here. I am not being pulled into such a childish stunt, and I am not going to apologize for voicing my opinion. Not everyone is always going to agree with you, I am not trying to start a fight or even argue with you, I was merely pointing out my own stance on the topic. I think it's a shame if you just decide to quit or give up anytime someone doesn't agree with you. Nobody said they did not want you here.

#25 ·
No. I never implied anything. You are reading what you want to read from my messages and assuming that I am speaking against you, calling you names, saying things that I'm not and implying things that I am not. Stop assuming and be your own person.

I am done with this topic. Good luck regardless which decision YOU make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.