Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sick all last week and that got me thinking, what can hedgehogs catch from us?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I was about to make a post like this.
Me and my boyfriend both have some kind of virus and I was also wondering if they could catch anything from us?
Don't want to make our babies sick. :|

·
Registered
414 Posts
There are two things that can pretty easily be passed between humans and animals: bordatella and conjunctivitis. Bordatella is basically a kind of bacteria that causes coughing, and conjunctivitis is pink eye. If bordatella is passed to a hedgie, it can cause a respiratory infection. Most of the time what lives in us can't live in them because of difference in body temperature, but it's still best to be careful.

Even if you don't think you have that particular illness, it's still a good idea to wash your hands/lower arms well before handling the hedgie or cleaning the cage. I usually change my shirt too before I go near the cage just to be safe. While you're holding, don't sneeze or cough on the little one. Basically, exercise care just to be safe.

Feel better soon!

*edit*
I forgot to add: if your hedgie starts showing signs of illness (runny nose, licking nose, sneezing, etc) you should get to the vet immediately because illness progresses quickly in bodies so little. Hopefully all is well, though.
*/edit*

·
Registered
543 Posts
I don't know if I can find it but there was a document that showed a pet hedgie tested positive for the herpes virus. I seriously doubt the hedgie had it before human contact.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts