Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hedgie that has multi coloured spines (White and blackish/brown), but she also has the odd solid white spine! Does this mean my girl Aimie was bred with an albino hog :-o!!

(Aimie in Picture)

I also have a question about why she's hissing a lot and breathing heavily while she balls up, and how can you tell if she was brought up in a bad household? She hasn't chewed anything (I've let her roam my whole one night just to test how she would do out of her cage for the night), she doesn't poop on the floor (She goes straight back to her cage to do her dirty business).

What toys should I get an adult hog, and what is the best diet that isn't really high on protein. I've been feeding her a mix of Ferret/Hedgehog kibble, is that good enough? Forgot to mention that I also give her melwarms and Wax warms once in a while. Currently going to her with the Horned Warms seeming how they apparently favour those a lot.

Would it also be fine if I put a water bowl in her cage for her to splash around in, not to much water or anything... I don't need a drowned hedgehog :-(!

Also I wanted to know how they "Claim" their owners, I've been told by a couple people that they will nip at you or bite your ankles. I don't know how true this is or even if it is haha

·
Registered
165 Posts
She's an African pygmy hedgehog just like all pet hogs, her "multi coloured" quills is normal Solid white spots indicate she has the pinto pattern.

She is hissing because it's their natural defense and the heavy breathing is from her hissing and is normal her hissing does not mean she was in a bad home that's just how hedgehogs are they hiss click and growl.

No that food is not good for her and you need to switch commercial hedgehog foods are actually bad for them go read the "Diet and nutrition" sticky or just look at the "Recommend food list", hedgehogs need a high quality cat food.

Toys are the same for adults as babies so you can give her a toilet paper tube or a dig box a wheel an some hogs like the little cat balls you can read more about it in other forum topics.

I would say no on the water bowl for her to "play" in she will just drink it or go to the bathroom in it, she wouldn't drown as most people use water bowls for hedgehogs.

Hedgehogs don't "claim" their owners and shouldn't be biting you at all.

You should read the other forum topics so you can learn correct information about hedgehogs most of you're questions have been answered in other threads and they can give you more information.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A white quill is completely normal, and doesn't mean she has any albino blood in her. Not that that's bad. But a white quill is just standard and common coloring.
Hissing is also completely normal. If your hedgehog didn't hiss, I actually think that would be more of a thing to worry about. They're normally especially grumpy when you first wake them up. If you handle them 30 minutes a day, minimum, they're hostility towards you should decrease.
In the way of toys, like Storybrooke said, toilet paper rolls and fleece tunnels are mentally stimulating and most hedgies love them. However, since she's an adult, make sure the tunnels are large enough and the toilet paper rolls is cut in half (long-ways) so that she doesn't get her head stuck. And even though it's not considered a toy, really, your hedgehog also needs a wheel to run on. This is crucial and Carolina Storm Wheels are recommended.
Hedgehog nutrition can be a tricky thing to catch on to, but ferret food and hedgehog food aren't the best food to be feeding. They can even be dangerous, in some cases. With the exception of Spike's Delite, most hedgehog foods commercially available just don't deliver the nutrients your hedgehog needs. A good quality cat food should suffice, with low fat and ideally 35% protein. You should also feed it multiple types of cat food in a mix - although it's not required, it's recommended so that you have one food to rely on if one becomes unavailable. It also offers some more variety.
Hedgehogs don't need water to play in. Constant exposure to water can actual dry out their skin, which is very dry already, so you shouldn't have one other than a water bowl. A hedgehog also doesn't become attached to humans like dogs and some cats do, so hedgehogs don't claim people. Any relationship with a hedgehog typically is built from months of attention and play with it.
Storybrooke covered pretty much everything. It's best you read up on those articles and do some more research to offer the best care you can for your hedgehog. :)

Reactions: Storybrooke
1 - 3 of 3 Posts