Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Hope this will be the last problem I have to post lol.

On my hedgehog's body, there are all these crusties. He has been treated with clavamox for URI and revolution for mites. It is only on the fur parts though, I can't find any on the quill part. When I touch the area in the back, he seems to be crying or something. Some of the fur has fallen off with the crusty parts.
Hair Head Eye Leg Eyelash

Head Eye Human body Organism Fawn

Green Whiskers Grass Fawn Rodent

I am bringing him in on Monday to get a culture down. What else could there that needs to be done? (already treated for URI and mites). The wheezing sound seems to be starting to go away(slowly) kind of want to have an idea of other possible illnesses, in case the vet does not mention anything. Especially since it takes a couple of weeks for results.

Thanks,

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The skin is really flakey and i do find pieces of fur with the crusty base falling out. The skin does seem healthy to me (no redness). Urine burn does sound interesting. Never thought of that!

I got a fungal culture done on monday.. I'll update on the results after $140 and week to 2 weeks later! lol

·
Registered
613 Posts
That looks similar to problems the rescue I just brought in had. The vet said the crusty stuff on the nose was excess sebum (grease/oil) from mites. I've treated her for mites and washed that area off, and it hasn't come back. The crusties on her legs were from urine burn (hers looked a lot more irritated and crusty than that, but she wasn't well cared for). Just keeping it clean with baths every few days has been clearing it up pretty good. I've also been using Humilac on her skin on her back because she has giant dry flakes, and that is really helping a lot.
I'll be looking for an update since it looks similar to what I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ahhh uhmmmm... so the results came back. My hedgehog has ringworm lol..... can ringworm cause the sounds made by him? Is it highly contagious?? Wondering if my other one can catch it easily. They are in separate rooms, but I am not sure if anything may have been shared.

What should I clean everything with? Vinegar? Bleach? lol

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Ringworm can be pretty contagious, and can enter the system through scratches, scrapes, anywhere that opens a route to the body. It can be airborne, so different rooms may not necessarily do the trick for keeping your other one safe from it. Definitely be careful going between the two hedgies right now, and I'd handle the healthy one & do everything needed for that one first before you handle your sick one. Make sure you're careful yourself, especially if he's huffy or might poke your hands - it's easy to be transmitted to humans as well, and quill pokes can open a route for it. Be careful of other pets as well.

From what I"m reading, simply hot water can kill the spores, but I'm not sure if you should just stick with hot water/vinegar or not. Maybe someone who's dealt with ringworm before will have some better advice on that, and more advice on precautions to take to keep it from spreading.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I know nothing about treatment, but ringworm fungus frequently shows up under UV light pretty clearly. UV flashlights are really cheap ($2-$20), so it wouldn't be much of a hassle to buy one and do a check of yourself, your other hedgehog, etc.

It's classified as moderately contagious -- the fungus mostly spreads by contact, either direct, or indirect (hedgehog rubs up against a thing, you handle what that thing). The BC health care guide says to use a fungicidal soap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh ok I guess I gotta go shopping to buy a UV light and soap after work lol. Ahh I been spiked many times by him, hope I didnt get anything.

Thanks for the responses tho!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The things I noticed were flaky skin, scratching and the crusty spots. Tried everything to get rid of the dry skin: oatmeal bath, sunshine factor, rainx and added more veggies n softer food. The crusty spots were sore and fur was falling off in those spots.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I got some pro-seb shampoo which is anti fungal shampoos and I got some itraconazole medication. He weighs about 260g and I'm using a 0.15ml dosage. The period she wants me to use is 6-8 weeks to make sure it is gone. Have some intense cleaning to do as well lol

Have been told to stop using clavamox as well. Guess it doesn'take things better when using another anti bacterial at same time

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

Hope this will be the last problem I have to post lol.

On my hedgehog's body, there are all these crusties. He has been treated with clavamox for URI and revolution for mites. It is only on the fur parts though, I can't find any on the quill part. When I touch the area in the back, he seems to be crying or something. Some of the fur has fallen off with the crusty parts.
View attachment 16785

View attachment 16793

View attachment 16801
I am bringing him in on Monday to get a culture down. What else could there that needs to be done? (already treated for URI and mites). The wheezing sound seems to be starting to go away(slowly) kind of want to have an idea of other possible illnesses, in case the vet does not mention anything. Especially since it takes a couple of weeks for results.

Thanks,
This was extremely helpful my hedgehog is currently going thro the same thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts