Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've had Mr.Tiggywinkles (whom we recently discovered is a girl) since January 6, so almost a month now. We got her from a petstore because it was the only place that had hedgehogs for a 200 mile radius (we live in Alaska). But they didn't know ANYTHING about hedgehogsand were keeping 5 hedgies in 1 hamster sized cage. :x

After realising she's a girl and doing my research, I am now facing the very real possibility that I may have a pregnant hedgie. :( But I'm not sure. Can anyone tell me the symptoms of a pregnant hedgehog so I have something to compare my hedgehog to?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some hedgehogs will show no symptoms/signs of pregnancy and others will, some things to keep an eye out ofr as I have dealt with a fear rescues who ended up being pregnant and saw these:

Bulky/Weight Gain
Engorged Nipples
Nesting
Erratic Behavior

This is just from my experience mind you and not universal I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Sometimes it is very obvious, sometimes difficult to tell. Weight gain is one of the main indicators but if she is a baby she would have been gaining weight anyways. They get butt heavy which is kind of hard to explain but basically all their weight is in their back end. Their stomach gets big and when nearing due date, their nipples enlarge. There appetite increases but since you didn't have her pre pregnancy and she is probably a bay, you wouldn't no if she is eating more or not.

Assume she is pregnant and set up a maternity cage for her. A large high sided bin works well. You will also need shavings or Carefresh and if she is already on one or the other, keep her on it. She will need a nest box. Some people use igloos but I was never a fan of an igloo. I use a smaller bin about 10" x 12" x 9" high and cut a 4' hole in the side.

Her wheel should come out because some moms will wheel with a baby in their mouth and injure or kill the baby. Or they ignore the babies to wheel.

Keep her cage clean by scooping out the mess and adding shaving to replace it each day. Once babies arrive you can't clean the cage.

Hopefully, if she is a baby, she isn't pregnant as it isn't ideal for them. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In your personal oppion and given the circumstances, just how likely is it that she's pregnant?

Just how much is too much when it comes to stress? Our house is kinda small, so there's no real quiet and non-frequented area, and we have cats that like to sit and stare at the the hedgie. We also need to give her a footbath and trim her nails because they're extremely long, but it would be her first time doing either of those and I don't want to stress her out too much. Should I risk the stress?

Oh, and when should I expect the new arrivals? Just a rough estimate, since I haven't witnessed the actually mating of my hedgie.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It totally depends on how old she was when with the other hedgehogs and if there were males, how old they were. Females can get pregnant from 8 weeks but not all 8 week olds are going to get pregnant. Each week older makes it more likely. Males can impregnate from 7 weeks but there have been a couple cases of a 6 week old impregnating his mother. Often when stores have them together they have older mixed in with young and there is more risk with a older male than with a younger. Depending on the circumstances, it is highly likely she could be. Does she seem to be bottom heavy, big tummy?

Average gestation is 35-36 days but can go much longer so you aren't out of the woods until you have had her for about 55 days.

If she's not feeling too big, I would try to gently clip her nails because you aren't going to be able to do it for 7 weeks after babies arrive. The foot bath is fine.

What exactly do you mean by lethargic? No, it's not normal during pregnancy and can mean there is a complication. Often as they get big and uncomfortable they get less active, but not lethargic. Is she warm enough?

The quietest area possible is best. Do you have an extra bedroom? If not, use your bedroom but dress in another room and if you watch tv in your bedroom, move it somewhere else. If she's used to the cats, she should be fine with them watching as long as they don't reach their paws in and bug her. With cats, a bin is not a good option for a cage unless you have a well ventilated secure lid. What type of cage is she in now?

I used Kiln dried pine shavings but I stored them in large open bins so the smell could go off them before they were used. Some people use aspen. I couldn't because I am highly allergic to aspen. I've also heard of more hedgehogs with allergic reactions to aspen than kd pine or carefresh.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:) :) She was 7-8 weeks old and the other hedgehogs were the same age as her because they were from the same litter.

I don't think she's bottom heavy, but she's my first hedgehog ever, so I have no previous experience to compare her to.

Okay, I'll get on the footbath and nail clipping.

Somedays she just doesn't want to do anything, she just wants to eat, drink, and burrow in her bandanna. Other days she's raring to go explore. Just figured I should ask. She's at a good temperature, about mid-seventies, so no worries there.

Our house is pretty quiet, so that's not a big worry.

Are those kind of shavings something a small town petstore would carry?

Again, I'm not entirely certain that she is pregnant, it's just a concern. So far, I haven't seen any indications like Just One Post mentioned, so I'm still not entirely convinced she is pregnant.
JustOnePost said:
Some hedgehogs will show no symptoms/signs of pregnancy and others will, some things to keep an eye out ofr as I have dealt with a fear rescues who ended up being pregnant and saw these:

Bulky/Weight Gain
Engorged Nipples
Nesting
Erratic Behavior

Still, better to be cautious and ask. :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Kitta Furen said:
:) :) She was 7-8 weeks old and the other hedgehogs were the same age as her because they were from the same litter.

I don't think she's bottom heavy, but she's my first hedgehog ever, so I have no previous experience to compare her to.

Okay, I'll get on the footbath and nail clipping.

Somedays she just doesn't want to do anything, she just wants to eat, drink, and burrow in her bandanna. Other days she's raring to go explore. Just figured I should ask. She's at a good temperature, about mid-seventies, so no worries there.

Our house is pretty quiet, so that's not a big worry.

Are those kind of shavings something a small town petstore would carry?

Again, I'm not entirely certain that she is pregnant, it's just a concern. So far, I haven't seen any indications like Just One Post mentioned, so I'm still not entirely convinced she is pregnant.
JustOnePost said:

Bulky/Weight Gain
Engorged Nipples
Nesting
Erratic Behavior

Still, better to be cautious and ask. :)
At there age there is a possibility, I'd say 50/50. Still you have to treat her like she is.

Yes, a small town pet store should carry both aspen and kiln dried pine. If you go for pine, make certain it says it is kiln dried.

Weight gain can start immediately or mid pregnancy, or near the end. All girls are different and with yours being a baby you are not going to know if her weight gain is her growing, or from being pregnant.

Engorged nipples happens in late stage pregnancy, usually a few days before delivery so it really isn't an early indicator.

Nesting again depends on the individual girl. Some start building their nests fairly early on, others wait until last minute and even some non pregnant hedgehogs build nests. My very best all time nest builder was Teasel, a boy, and he sure could have taught my moms a thing or two. :lol:

Erratic behaviour is usually late stage.

Unfortunately, her being new to you, you don't know what is normal for her. At her age, she doesn't know what is normal for her.

As I mentioned, some girls it's very obvious they are pregnant and show it from early on. Others hide it well.

If you post some tummy pictures of her, perhaps we can give some opinions. :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Not obviously. How far along would she be? Some show fairly early, others not at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts