Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy the cubes at Bed Bath & Beyond, but I can't seem to find cheap coroplast.
I need coroplast that's 44x58, and the sign shop in my area wants me to pay $70 for it. :shock:
Is there any alternatives to coroplast?

Thanks!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just did a quick google search and got Linoleum as an answer, I don't know anything to back it up though, if it's cheaper or if it's even a good idea.

I was lucky with the coroplast, my mum has some left over in her closet. have you thought of asking any if they have any lying around? Maybe look up kijiji ads :lol: people sell weirder things

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GoldenEyes said:
I just did a quick google search and got Linoleum as an answer, I don't know anything to back it up though, if it's cheaper or if it's even a good idea.

I was lucky with the coroplast, my mum has some left over in her closet. have you thought of asking any if they have any lying around? Maybe look up kijiji ads :lol: people sell weirder things
I'll do some researched on Linoleum!
And, I'll go into the weird land of kijiji tonight and see whats there! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't checked it that much but I know it's cheap, but I dont know the biggest size they carry.

Do they cut it to custom size or have a huge size of coroplast?
If so, I could totally reconsider and go to Home Depot! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Estate agents usually throw it away,and they have to pay to get rid of it so they may give you some for free. :)

lilyann

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn't use coroplast for Spike's cage. I was at Target picking up the storage cubes for his cage and walked past the area where they have the contact paper (like for lining your shelves) and saw these rolls of thick, clear plastic. It has ridges in it - kind of like a ridged potato chip (lol- that's the only way I can think to describe it). It's thicker than the flexible cutting boards and very easy to cut. I got some of that and some foam core board (you could also use a cardboard box) and cut the foam core to fit the cage, taped the two pieces of foam core together, then zip tied the plastic to the foam core. Since it has the ridges, it fits perfectly together so there is no detectable seam at ALL - it actually was hard for me to even find the seam where the plastic overlaps) I also cut some of the plastic about 6 inches wide and zip tied it all around the edges of the cage (I probably could have skipped this step because I also made a sort of "bumper pad" out of fleece and tied that all around the edge of the cage to stop him from trying to climb, which he hasn't attempted at all so far). It was a bit more work, but a LOT cheaper than coroplast and is working GREAT! :D

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've seen plexiglass before. I'm not sure about sharp edges on it though, but I'm sure you could make it work. Though real estate places really does seem like a good idea!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts