Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My hedgehog is about 10 months old now and I have been having problems with his weight for quite some time now.

He was about 230ish grams till about 2 or 3 months ago. I was feeding him just dry cat food (Blue buffalo, Wellness and Halo) and he was only eating about 3 to 5 grams.

I began feeding him wet food then consisting of 1 can wellness indoor cat food and mixing 1 jar of vegetable baby food with ground up dry cat food. I am not sure about how much he was eating but I would say almost 2 tbsp. He was gaining weight and weighed about 300 grams. There was some yellow skin around his legs which I assume is excess fat, but he was still able to roll up in a ball.

I stopped feeding him the wet food and he has dropped back in weight and appetite.

My question is should i feed him the wet food or the cat food? Maybe he is just meant to be small and eat little?

Thanks,

·
Registered
42 Posts
One of mine doesn't like dry now that he has had wet. But I need him to get the health benefits of a dry mix. So I'm crushing 3/4 dry mix into 1/4 wet. He is grumpy, but eating it.
My other is an underweight adoption that doesn't like wet. I'm offering him 3/4 dry in one bowl, 1/4 dry mixed with a bit of wet in a second bowl.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts