Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started adding Wellness Healthy Weight to the mix of cat foods I feed my hedgehogs, before I was feeding Wellness Complete Health. The Healthy weight formula, as the name suggests, has a lot less fat than the Complete Health formula.

But I noticed, all five of my hedgehogs were not eating the Wellness; they did eat all of the other kibble in their bowls though, they just picked around. If it was one hedgehogs, I would assume that hedgehog just had a different preference, but it was all five hedgehogs. So I threw the bag out immediately, after thinking there could be something wrong with that particular bag. I bought a new bag, to experiment, and my hedgehogs still won't eat it!

I understand hedgehogs will sometimes go for "junk" food, if they are given the option, but I feed quality cat food (Royal Canin Light, Solid Gold, and Purina One in addition to the Wellness), so I think it's safe to assume they are not going for the junk food.

So my question to the members of the forum is: does anyone's hedgehog enjoy Wellness Healthy Weight?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Only a couple of mine would eat Wellness Weight. I'm not sure though if it was the food or the shape. Most of mine will not touch pellet shaped foods.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will pick up a bag of the Indoor Health, and see if they prefer that.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I've never used dry Wellness, but if it's little cylinder-like pellets, that might be why. I have Science Diet Adult Light, and they are little pellets too. He despises them. :lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are pellets.

Strangely, if any of them are out of their cage, and I give them a few of the Wellness kibbles as a treat, they don't hesitate to eat them. They just won't eat them when they have other options.

So they don't hate them, I guess they just prefer other food.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Indoor Health too, I cut them in half so that he can eat it, its too big for him my hedgehog is only 6weeks old. I mixed it with Royal Canin Kitten and Science Diet:Nature's Best. Those three are his favorites.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I just bought Indoor Health yesterday, and so far everyone (except for my finicky old man) ate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts