Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I took my hedgie to the vet today for her pre-planned wellness check up. I had already planned to get a blood draw, skin scrape, and poop culture. Well this week she'd been scratching her face and body a lot so I figured there was some sort of skin issue.

And I was right.

Skin scrape showed she has mites on her face/head area. The problem with skin scrape was the vet didn't sedate before trying to do the skin scrape. Long story short, he nicked the bridge of her nose because she moved when he did it. He had to close her nose up with skin glue. My poor baby (and me) was traumatized :'( He did apologize though and gave us free pain meds and an antibiotic to keep the cut from getting infected.

She was already miserable from the itching on her face and now she has to deal with a cut up nose 馃様. I literally wanna cry and feel so bad for her. I feel sick to my stomach like this is all my fault.

So after that he did the blood draw while she was sedated and we gave him her poop sample. Luckily, her poop sample was good and showed no abnormalities. We're currently waiting for the results of her blood sample, which we will get next week.

She's reacting okay to the sedation at least. You can tell she's still high lol. I'll list all the meds he gave us when I get a chance and update you all about her blood test results.

Meds vet gave me: Revolution, Baytril antibiotic (for cut on nose), Metacam pain med (for cut on nose), and Terramycin ointment for her skin to heal

Registered
Hi, I am very sorry for what happened :( happens to the best of them too, I guess, but it`s definitely not your fault! hugs Although a skin scrape normally wouldn`t need sedation and I`d ask for it only if it`s absolutely necessary, because it has its own risks. Everything will be alright, wounds tend to heal ;)

Mites are bad luck :( It`s also strongly recommended to clean everything daily until the mites are gone. They usually hide in natural types of bedding, like wood chips.

I wish your hedgie feels better soon!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I am very sorry for what happened :( happens to the best of them too, I guess, but it`s definitely not your fault! hugs Although a skin scrape normally wouldn`t need sedation and I`d ask for it only if it`s absolutely necessary, because it has its own risks. Everything will be alright, wounds tend to heal ;)

Mites are bad luck :( It`s also strongly recommended to clean everything daily until the mites are gone. They usually hide in natural types of bedding, like wood chips.

I wish your hedgie feels better soon!
Thankfully, she's already looking and feeling better 馃槶! We think she may have gotten mites from going outside for the first time last week. That was the only big change in her routine she's had recently.

We've started the de-miteification process of the house and her cage. Anti mite laundry detergent, spray, freezing her old fleece, buying new fleece, new sheets, etc. I'm also gonna put some UV-C light on as many surfaces as I can. I want those b*stards GONE 馃槀

Registered
My hedgehog is called Hoggle
So I took my hedgie to the vet today for her pre-planned wellness check up. I had already planned to get a blood draw, skin scrape, and poop culture. Well this week she'd been scratching her face and body a lot so I figured there was some sort of skin issue.

And I was right.

Skin scrape showed she has mites on her face/head area. The problem with skin scrape was the vet didn't sedate before trying to do the skin scrape. Long story short, he nicked the bridge of her nose because she moved when he did it. He had to close her nose up with skin glue. My poor baby (and me) was traumatized :'( He did apologize though and gave us free pain meds and an antibiotic to keep the cut from getting infected.

She was already miserable from the itching on her face and now she has to deal with a cut up nose 馃様. I literally wanna cry and feel so bad for her. I feel sick to my stomach like this is all my fault.

So after that he did the blood draw while she was sedated and we gave him her poop sample. Luckily, her poop sample was good and showed no abnormalities. We're currently waiting for the results of her blood sample, which we will get next week.

She's reacting okay to the sedation at least. You can tell she's still high lol. I'll list all the meds he gave us when I get a chance and update you all about her blood test results.

Meds vet gave me: Revolution, Baytril antibiotic (for cut on nose), Metacam pain med (for cut on nose), and Terramycin ointment for her skin to heal
Hey how is she doing? Sending love and hugs

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey how is she doing? Sending love and hugs
Thanks for asking! She's doing a lot better. Her face has mostly cleared up. She still scratches, but not as much and her nose doesn't seem to be bothering her anymore. She's become surprisingly cuddly and affectionate after this whole ordeal 馃槄

1 - 5 of 5 Posts