Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed that Pasta Batman does a weird thing when running on her wheel...she'll get on it and run for a few seconds, then get off, move towards her cave, then turn around and go beside the wheel. Then she'll get back on her wheel and the cycle starts over. The whole thing probably lasts no more than 30 seconds, and she does it over and over again. Also, it seems as though she gets off her wheel to poop for the most part, but then almost always pees on it right after she poops on the floor of the cage. :lol:
It's no big deal, I just thought it was kind of weird and wondered if there was any explanation for it. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It's just one of those quirky things our hedgies like to do. Often Pebbles would do a sprint on her wheel, jump off and a lap around her cage, another sprint on the wheel... Sometimes the lap around the cage included a stop for a bite to eat. Some of them run one way for a minute, then jump off and back on and run the other way. shrug!

·
Registered
395 Posts
some say it seems like their hedgehogs are running to look for new food. I know vex will run on his wheel, jump off then immediately sniff the food bowl, run away in disgust and start wheeling again. He repeats this and eventually will eat when he gets off.

Hedgehogs in the wild run long distances to find food, so i think he may be playing a game, kinda like "run to find food".

When i have him out for playtime the last few nights i started hiding his treats and food, and he has fun hunting them down in his play room. I hide them under hats, inside bowls bigger than he is, in tubes he has to flip over, in little Easter egg/kinder surprise things, and places where he has to climb through or on boxes. While he does it he chirps and runs full tilt looking for more, it is very entertaining to watch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nancy said:
It's just one of those quirky things our hedgies like to do. Often Pebbles would do a sprint on her wheel, jump off and a lap around her cage, another sprint on the wheel... Sometimes the lap around the cage included a stop for a bite to eat. Some of them run one way for a minute, then jump off and back on and run the other way. shrug!
My little hog does this also, she runs on her wheel, gets out, laps the cage, checks the door of her cage is shut properly and gets back on her wheel.........so funny to watch lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts