Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a hedgehog who is about a year and a half old. She's been having some health issues, I had taken her to the vet a couple weeks ago. She has this huge cyst that is either an infection, cancer, or possibly fluid from a broken bone, but we went ahead and started treating her with antibiotics. She seemed to be doing better initially but hasn't run on her wheel as of the last week.

Today I heard her making this weird noise. Do any of you know if this is just normal hedgehog behavior? I've had one other hedgehog before and he never made this noise, and this hedgehog has never made this noise either. Is this some kind of cough?

·
Registered
255 Posts
That is a strange sound.. The only thing I can think of is something in her mouth. Maybe a tooth bothering her that's she's clenching or scraping on. Did you lift the hide and check on her? Was it maybe that she was chewing on something? Where is her cyst/lump located?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a strange sound.. The only thing I can think of is something in her mouth. Maybe a tooth bothering her that's she's clenching or scraping on. Did you lift the hide and check on her? Was it maybe that she was chewing on something? Where is her cyst/lump located?
I'm not sure either, she doesn't like to open her mouth. She likes to sit behind her igloo and she just sleeps in a ball. I almost wonder if she is chewing on something? I'm not too concerned as long as it's not a cough.
Her cyst was on her back right leg, but she just had surgery today to get it removed. The vet did an exam on her and as far as I know he didn't find anything weird, so I don't think anything is in her mouth. I'm not sure what to think of this sound.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My boy has made this sound once before too, it gave me a heart attack, but after he made it once, he never made it again. In total, my boy has lost 3 teeth throughout his life, one for every year lol. It might be a loose tooth honestly. That's what my main bet is.
But my advice would be to just wait it out and see. If she does it again, and again, and again, then it might be worth checking out. For now though, I don't believe it's a cough, nor something deadly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My boy has made this sound once before too, it gave me a heart attack, but after he made it once, he never made it again. In total, my boy has lost 3 teeth throughout his life, one for every year lol. It might be a loose tooth honestly. That's what my main bet is.
But my advice would be to just wait it out and see. If she does it again, and again, and again, then it might be worth checking out. For now though, I don't believe it's a cough, nor something deadly.
that makes me feel much better lol. thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts