Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the average weight of an adult male hedgehog? I've been searching the forums and can't seem to find a definite answer. It seems that most weigh somewhere between 300g and 400g. That leads me to be a little bit concerned about Ivan's weight. I've been weighing him every day for the past month and he has been weighing a very consistent 440g to 450g. He doesn't really LOOK chunky (I've attached a couple of pictures so that you can be the judge), but his weight seems to be a little bit higher than others.

He's extremely active (a runner) and spends hours every night on his wheel. I have him on a mix of three different cat foods. I use Pet Promise Healthy Weight and Aging, Blue Spa Select Longevity for Mature Cats and Wellness Healthy Weight. I sprinkle some Grape Nuts on top just because loves them (and I like to watch him anoint with them). I give him a couple of mealies or crickets a day. I've tried veggie treats but he spits them right back out.

I don't know if I should be concerned about his weight. He's been at this weight since I got him, so he's not gaining and he can still curl into a tight ball which I read is good. So, should I be concerned?

Also, I have been thinking about counting his kibble, just for consistency (I currently free-feed) and I was curious as to how much you all give your hedgies.

Attachments

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that I didn't explain myself very well with the free feeding. I'm not looking to cut back on the amount of food he gets, I was just curious as to how much the average hedgie eats. I want to count his kibble so that I can gain a better idea of how much he eats in a night. It's a hard thing to gauge since I just eyeball how much he is getting and how much is gone in the morning.

Sorry for not explaining that in the first place. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.