Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that Lou put on some weight so I cut back a lot on his mealworms, but haven't really noticed a difference. He has a CSW and does use it during the night (he's in my room, so I know), but not nearly like he used to. Any ideas to why he runs less? He doesn't have any toys, but if someone has any suggestions, I'm all ears! I am moving (tomorrow in fact) and will have a much bigger room so Lou will be getting a cage upgrade (C&C 3x2)! Do you think this will help him be a little more active? He's by no means overweight, but I don't want it to get any worse.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have noticed that my hedges are less active during the winter months. I think cutting down on the # of mealies is a good idea and letting him "free range" in your larger room will be good too. I am not sure of any other advice to give as far as weight loss goes, but you could provide a toilet paper tube, slit down the side...some of those cat balls and leather/fur mice....My girls also have a little football with a bell in it which they like and a glow in the dark ball. They also like different textures like leather, corduroy, etc.
Best of luck,
Susan H.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I let my little one run around (in a hedge-proof room and under supervision) in the winter because she is a lot less active and wants to sleep a lot more. My hedgie is an explorer so she goes nuts when she gets to run around! Maybe try this with Lou- put out some tunnels, stuffed animals, cat toys that are hedgehog-approved, etc. to encourage his exploration when he runs around your room.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts