Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How will I know the difference between Crowley gaining weight because she's getting older and bad weight gain as in her getting fat or too much fat and junk food in her diet?

I don't have a scale for her yet, but I've got one ordered.
Tips for taking her weight? Ways to tell bad weight from good?
An estimate about what she should weigh ish at her age?

She's 3-4ish mouths old and she feels like she's getting heavier(she recently went on a food strike) so if sorta been keeping an eye on her food. And other than a little bit of baby food here and there she hasn't really had any changes in diet. ( she mostly just eats her kibble) - Purina pro plan savor chicken and rice.

Thoughts? Advice? Reading recommendations?

Maybe a mock chart of what would be normal would help? If anyone would like to share theirs?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Every hedgie is different in this regard so you'll have to play it by ear because it isn't something a scale will tell you. Good on you for getting a scale though! Look for fat pockets around her bum and back legs and make sure she can pull herself fully into her protective ball.
I think the goal is a well formed hedgie. Neither too fat nor too thin.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I also wouldn't be to worried about weight gain until about 6 months old. She is still growing and will probably continue to fill out for the next few months. :grin:

As an example of what Grace said I have one year old that weighs 440 grams and a 9 month old that weighs 550 grams. My 9 month old is a little over weight but nothing horrible. She is just a bigger hedgehog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts