1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I have a 3 month old named Lucy at home (I have pix of her
in "Fun Stuff" if you'd like to see) and she is pretty much
litter box trained, except for her time spent on her wheel.

I currently use bedding at the moment, but I would really like to use liners.
I would also really like to avoid changing/washing them everyday.
I was wondering if any of you guys place those puppy "wee-wee" pads
underneath the wheel to keep the liners clean. I saw on some other posts
that some people put a second litter box under the wheel, but wouldn't
this be easier? Just change the pads, and the liners never get dirty...

Perhaps if the material they are made of isn't suitable for a hedgehog,
then something similar? An absorbent paper towel-like pad laying flat
under the wheel to catch anything she leaves behind...

Just a thought....
Any ideas?

Katie =]

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Someone on here used puppy training pads once and the hedgehog tore through it and got caught in the fluff between the layers. She posted pictures and it looked pretty disastrous (the hedgehog was ok so far as I remember). Lots of people use a layer or two of paper towel under the wheel. Even if you don't use a litter box or paper towel fleece lining is usually absorbent enough to withstand a couple of days of use (especially if you have multiple layers. The most you have to do daily is spot clean poop. I just pick it up in a tissue and flush it down the toilette. Some people use smaller pieces of fleece under the wheel and the dishes so they can clean messiest areas by just picking up those small pieces.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Yep, I think if you do a search or just look through the pages of threads, you can find several on puppy training pads and why people decided not to use them.

Plain paper towel is safe to use under the wheel. I use it, and change it out every two days. It's the main part of the liner that gets dirty, so just cleaning that area keeps the cage much cleaner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.