Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hoglets are now 20 days old and I am preparing my self for the weaning process. I am aware I won't really have to do much besides the recommended crushing of kibble to make it easier for them to eat. I have been talking with a local breeder and he recommended that I remove the hoglets at 28 days (4 weeks) my cat currently eats the same dry food that my hedgehogs do and I also have canned wet food and while I know wet food should not be fed as a meal because of the high protein levels and etc should I offer this to my hoglets in addition to the kibble?

Also, how will I know if the hoglets are fully weaned? I don't want to remove them too soon from mom if they are not completely weaned.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Hedgehogs shouldn't be weaned until they are at least 5 weeks old. They shouldn't need wet food and just need dry cat food. Separate the males and females and put each group in separate cages. After a week they need to be in their own cages so that you can be sure they're eating well and are healthy before going to new homes. I have never heard of a breeder weaning at 4 weeks, in my opinion that is way to early.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts