Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgie Yue's babies are about a week old now! There are 3 (one sadly died) and two are already huge! The other though looks about the size its siblings were when they were born. It doesn't look exactly unhealthy, it wriggles and even walks about, but looks almost like a newborn. It has teeny tiny quills sticking out but they're as delicate as hairs, whereas the others have long quills already.

Is there anything I can do? Maybe the runt isn't getting enough milk as it just doesn't seem to be growing, even though it seems to still be alive and well. Can I give it some supplements with a syringe, or will Yue reject it completely if I intervene?

She's quite relaxed with me being around her cage and lets me stroke her and give her some scratches whenever I change her food and water. I'm scared I endanger its life and the others by trying to help the runt, but I'm getting concerned about it!

What should I do?

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Its common for one baby to be a lot smaller than the others. As long as it's active and looking healthy I would leave it alone. Handling it now could be worse than leaving it alone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts