Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am a new hedgie Mamma to a little 7 week old male that my boyfriend & I named Hank.

our breeder told us that when we got home to take him out and try to bond right away.. well this resulted in him biting us. He then anointed. We gave him space in his new home and took him out way later and no more biting since then. Is that normal at all? What should we do if he bites again?

he sleeps a lot & I know that’s normal for babies. When I get him out of his tub I put him in my hoodie pocket. I’m trying to bond with him as much as I can. I also have my shirt in his igloo and he burrows all the way underneath the shirt, bed, and igloo.

he loves his meal worms for snacks and chomps on his cat food at night time. The first night we had him (last night) he was crazy man with his wheel 💙 I read somewhere that when they are new to a new environment they will poop green.. well not our guy. He seems to be pooping normal. Is this a good thing? Does that mean he’s getting used to us?
I tried giving him some eggs this morning and he smelled them but was not interested. That’s when we got him some meal worms from the pet store.

does anyone know of any good bonding tips that we could be doing ? I know I have to handle him as much as possible but now I’m picking him up with a washcloth since he puffs out quite a bit. Will that get better also? He seems very happy especially with the wormies!
Also, we don’t really have toys for him because we arnt sure if he will play with any. We have a tunnel for him in his home which he has used once so far but we just bought it today!

any tips would greatly be appreciated! And yes we are making sure he’s warm and never a cold belly. If his home gets 80 or above is that harmful? We try to keep it around 77-78
I’m so happy to have found this little community ☺

·
Registered
Cassie is a six month old, adorable hedgie!
13 Posts
Hi! Sorry I’m late to this, but if Hank bit you then anointed, he probably was just picking up your scent. Make sure to stay away from hand feeding, because Hank might associate your hands with food. If he bites again, stay calm and don’t put him in his cage. And if his poop isn’t green, that’s s a great sign! He is getting used to y’all! Also, it is not dangerous to have their cage above 80. Just make sure it stays below 82 because Hank could over heat. It is also not bad if the temperature goes below 77 just make sure it doesn’t go below 72.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts