Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgie April's ears were looking a bit tattered and his (yes, April is a boy hedgehog, I was unaware of that when I named him :lol: ) skin was looking a dry and flaky so we took him to the vet. Our vet gave us some Surolan to put on his ears twice a day for 14 days. At first it was really hard to put the meds on with a q-tip, with April moving, and huffing and rolling up in a ball. April is very interested in scents, so I sprayed a little bit of mild perfume on my sweater, and he just went crazy smelling it, and didn't even notice or budge when I put the meds on his ears! Worked like a charm. I suggest wearing an old sweater though because April seems to like biting my sweater after smelling it. And he sometimes self annoints, but it's still the easiest way for me. Thought I'd share my experience so hopefully it may work for another hedgie owner.

Does anyone have another good way of getting a hedgehog to take meds?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Yes, that way works well for some and you can also try clipping nails when hedgie is busy chewing and annointing over something. For those that chew at the scent, using something non-toxic is best. A drop of vanilla or rub a candy or piece of gum on the cloth. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts