Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
For some reason I always assumed bottles were the standard maybe because that's what my breeder used. I have indeed heard the bottle horror stories (although the notion that hogs cant seem to get enough water out is a new one for me) but I used them anyway. Its been about 3 years and Ive had few problems. Perhaps accidents only occur when animals are not accustomed to using bottles and are abruptly switched over to them. My hog just refuses to use a bowl. She likes to walk through it and sometimes poop in it, but I've never caught her drinking out of it. The one problem I did have with the bottles was accidental drainage. Sometimes shavings would get piled up near the spout and push the ball bearing in causing all of the water to spill out in the cage. I raised the bottle up a few inches and all was well.

After reading these posts I now may worry a little bit more about whether my Isabelle is getting her water fast enough. After she runs I hear her frantically sipping away (for non bottle owners, the bottles make a metallic clicking sound when used, and the intensity varies based on how fast the animal tries to drink) but I usually interpret the sound as reassurance that she active and drinking. Those draining problems I experienced gave me some proof that the water can get out at a fairly steady rate. Additionally, I feel that bottles are a good tool for measuring water consumption. Bowls are not reliable because of sloshing and evaporation. Bottles will let you know if and how much your hog is drinking, which is a good thing to know if you suspect he or she is not feeling well. So that's my two cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ChristinaP said:
The ones I mentioned had grown up with bottles, but still were not getting enough.
Yeah, I guess I wasn't really clear when I relayed my guess that maybe water bottle problems are a result of not growing up using the bottle. Doesn't really apply to not being able to get enough water. I was thinking just for teeth and mouth injuries. Sorry bout that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.