Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Tide alright for washing liners in? And should I use or not use softener?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'd use the unscented & dye free version.

The thing you want to keep in mind with scented laundry detergent is that even though it's a nice pleasant little scent to you, it can be overwhelming to a hedgie whose nose is a few milimeters away from it at all times. Same goes with fabric softener or dryer sheets.

Though I will say that, once, when my hedgie was with her hedgie-sitter, she had her laundry done - scented detergent and fabric softener included. While she did smell dryer fresh and her belly fur was ever so soft after rubbing around on her laundered liners, I don't think it was the best thing for her health-wise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What i've been doing is just washing it normally, and since I won't change it for a few days, I sit with the liner on top of me while I watch TV, gives it my scent

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I store them in my room, where I think they take on some of the smell of the room (this is also where her cage is) which might help, but I think I'm going to get some unscented soap anyway, just to be safe. Thanks for your answers. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
My girls really like when I have forgot to do a second rinse. I use maybe a teaspoon of Downy and they will anoint with the liner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New to this site, not sure where to post this question, but where do you get the liners that you are talking about? What are they made of? I was told to use carefresh, but the liners sound cleaner, except you must have to wash them a lot. Can you spot clean the liners in between washing?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I put a folded paper towel underneath the wheel, that catches most of the poop and pee, so the liner last longer. You can spot clean each night if poop gets on the liner, and I also scrape up the mess Lily makes from eating (all the crumbs). I usually get about three nights out of a liner before switching it for a clean one.
Liners can be really simple, you can just get either a couple of yards of fleece from a fabric store, or you can buy a fleece blanket at a store like Walmart. Then you just get the measurements of your cage and cut the fleece to the measurements. I got a full size fleece blanket and got 10 liners out of it, I think. Because it doesn't unravel, you just put it in the cage and you're all set. If you get a blanket, though, be sure you don't use the edges where they may have decorative stitching, which can catch hedgie toes and nails. Also, light colored liners are nice because you can see strange colored wastes better (blood in pee/poop, green poop, etc.)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
pedro said:
New to this site, not sure where to post this question, but where do you get the liners that you are talking about? What are they made of? I was told to use carefresh, but the liners sound cleaner, except you must have to wash them a lot. Can you spot clean the liners in between washing?
I sell liners http://www.freewebs.com/thehedgieden/cageliners.htm
Depending on the individual hedgehog, liners need to be changed every 2-7 days. A piece of fleece works fine but does not absorb as well and needs to be changed more often than liners with an absorbent core. If your hedgehog is litter trained or only goes on the wheel with something underneath to catch the mess, then liners can easily go a week. My Peaches was fully litter trained and a neat freak and her liners got washed once a week only because it had been a week. They certainly were not dirty. :lol:

I've found that my gang are more likely to go under plain fleece than they are proper liners and I think it's because the liners are thick and not as easy to shift around. Of course some of them will go under regardless. :lol:

·
Registered
395 Posts
what is the absorbent core in your liner nancy? or is it a trade secret :eek:
I used an extremely thick piece of felt, but after going through the wash it kept getting jumbled up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts