Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so We have had Niblet for 3 months now...

He came to us eating Sunseed Vita Exotics Hedgehog Formula....(and note, Mr. Niblet is quite the picky eater!) He loves this food.

Well shortly after we got him, I started looking into the possibilities of swapping him over to a food that would be healthier for him. I searched out the cat food list here on the forums and started my own studying of learning how to read pet food labels and such. I wanted to make sure that we were making the decision to feed him something nutritious because we knew it was right...not because someone else told us so.

So...after sitting in the floor at Petco 2 weeks ago surrounded by about 5 different bags of food and reading label after label...I finally decided on Wellness Indoor Formula Cat food.

I brought it home and the first night, I only gave him 6 pieces. He immediately loved the food. His poop was normal all that night and the next day. So the next night, I put 10 little kibbles in. He ate all of those up and his poop was still normal and just as much as usual. Well after 3 days, I upgraded him to a small scoop (it is a small coffee scoop---holds about 15ish kibble) of wellness and a small scoop of the Sunseed (I wanted to keep a mix for the junk food factor)...

Ok well...first off, Niblet will not eat the Sunseed at all anymore after being introduced to the Wellness. He just eats all of the Wellness pieces out and leaves the Sunseed. He has been on this mix for a little over a week now. Last night, I took him out to give him his bi-weekly foot bath and while he was in the water, he started having very loose green poops!!! This is new!! He did this a couple of times in the sink and then I got him all cleaned up and wrapped him up and put him in my lap to warm up. After warming up, back to his cage he went. I decreased the number of Wellness pieces I put in last night (I considered taking it out all together but i am afraid he wouldn't eat all night if I just left him with the Sunseed only.)

Well when I woke up this morning...I noticed that there were only a few places that had poop in his cage. This is abnormal for him since he is a pooping machine!! The few poops that were in his cage were fairly normal in color and consistency. I checked him over really good last night and this morning and he seems normal....nothing out of the ordinary.

I am just confused....is it just him getting used to the food?? Do I keep feeding him the Wellness?? or do I need to find another option?

Also...if I do continue to feed him the Wellness...how much does everyone feed their hedgies per day? We have been feeding Niblet the same amount since we got him. Some nights he cleans his bowl and some nights there is a little left over. He seems like he is getting an adequate amount.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
From my own experience and reading posts here, it seems like most hedgies will stop eating Sunseed when they're offered good quality cat food. You can wait a few weeks longer and introduce a new food and make a mix, if you're looking for variety. :)

Can you think of anything different during his foot bath that might have stressed him out? Is he usually ok during baths, or is he afraid of it? I ask because one of my girls is so scared of water she has nasty green poop every time I give her a bath.

If he was eating the Wellness for a week without problems, to me it doesn't sound like it was the food. His poop was normal the night after the bath, so it sounds to me like something during the bath stressed him causing the green stool.

Hopefully someone else will give their opinions too. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He hates baths period. lol.

Also...just to add this. I was looking inside of his little tent after I posted the original post and noticed that he had gone to the bathroom in there some last night too. The poop is not green but a light tan looking color....very similar to the color of the wellness food.

Is it normal for their poop color to change to the color of the food they are eating?

It sounds logical.

I know the sunseed is dark brown which is what his poop usually looks like and the wellness is a light tan...which is what some of his poop looked like this morning...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I've noticed my girls Pete's poop changing slightly in color with food change.

One of the things I've read a lot here is that Wellness is too rich for some hedgies. It just doesn't go well in their tummies. Personally I've never had any problem with it, but knowing that I'd say keep a close eye on him for the next days. It might be that the Wellness is not a good food for him, or maybe it's fine and you're concerned over nothing (as we all do all the time with hedgehogs :roll: )

·
Registered
236 Posts
To me it sounds like something about the bath might have just stressed him. I also use Wellness indoor, as well as Natural Balance green pea and duck, and I find poops take on the same colour, I wouldn't be worried about that. If he seems to be doing fine now, I would just monitor it and keep feeding it. Someone else might know better though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MissC said:
:lol:
Only hedgie parents would study their hedgie's poop so intricately.
Haha! Not only am I a hedgie mom but I am a nurse (poop is in our job description...haha).
It looks like I have a double curse!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts