Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of 6 C&C cubes at Target, so I could try them out myself and build Inky a playpen. Well, it turns out Inky can escape. He can climb over (majority can) AND squeeze through the 1(or so) inch squares! He did this last night, this morning, and again for me to get a video. I knew he was small (250 grams, trying to gain) but it was crazy!

Here is the video of him squeezing out. I'm really sorry for the crappy quality and general shaky-ness, I had to use my cheapy video camera instead of my regular camera.

I've had problems with his adventures several times, actually, one of them being an escape from the ceiling of a SuperPet cage...

PS: I thought all the squares would be the same size, but only a few of the panels have the small ones, and the rest have large squares! For anyone who might buy that set... I'll post a pic of the box later.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Yep, that's why I have always said that C&C's can't be used with hedgehogs under 275g. Also, any hedgehog can climb over it which is why I've always said they need a lid or coroplast sides 10" or higher. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, that won't work either. He is an expert at scaling walls and climbing up even through lids. I could swear he has gecko toes the way he climbs...

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Because he is so small, I wouldn't risk using the cubes at all. There is too much risk of him climbing then trying to go through the square and hanging himself. :(

·
Registered
408 Posts
The breeder i got Jade from knows a breeder who's hedgehog's head got stuck between the bars, so cages with less then... i think it was 2 cm. space... between vertical bars are better cages.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am only using the cubes (now, after realizing his talent) when he is under constant supervision so I can stop him from trying to get through or climbing. I am especially concerned about him squeezing through because I've been trying to get him to gain weight, and if he does, he would likely get stuck halfway. :(

I am being extra, extra careful with them, and he won't ever be left without someone watching, even if he's sleeping.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes. I keep my hedgehogs in C&C cages and I have plastic on the sides. However, one of my little girls does not get to live in the C&C setup because she is a pretty small girl (267gs) and she is an escape artist and can climb through the bars just like Inky.
Within minutes of me placing her in the C&C cage, right after I built it, she made it her personal mission to escape, and did so in about 15 minutes.

Good point to make Lizard Girl!

If you got your cubes at Target did you notice the organizers that were frosted with plastic? These http://www.target.com/Storage-Solutions ... 64940might be a good option to build your playpen with, unless little Inky really is Houdini!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you got your cubes at Target did you notice the organizers that were frosted with plastic? These http://www.target.com/Storage-Solutions ... 64940might be a good option to build your playpen with, unless little Inky really is Houdini!
I actually looked for those as well, but my Target didn't have them at the moment. I may buy those in the future and experiment (safely!) with them as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts