Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some research on warming my hedghog and came across Corn Bags. They are like hand wamers but they last for an hour or so and you can re-heat them in the microwave and if you don't over-heat them they should last for years. ( and they are made of corn! ) Each corn bag is approximately 8x10 inches, and weighs 1.8 to 2 lbs so they are bigger than hand warmers too.

They only cost like $7 with $5 shipping - Here's the site I found them on.

I figured something like this would come in handy with hedgehog's everyday life :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I've tried them as well as rice and oat bags. There are a few drawbacks with them.
1) Some hedgehogs find the food smell of them very enticing and will constantly chew and scratch at the bag.

2) They really don't hold heat that long especially if you plan on using it in a cooler temperature vehicle. They will not last the length of a trip to the vet.

3) The nature of the oats, rice or corn creates moisture when it's heated which is great for us to use on sore muscles but creating moisture when trying to keep a hedgehog warm has the opposite effect. The combination of slightly damp bedding, hedgehog and a fast cooling bag is not good.

Used after the bath for some warmth is fine but IMO, mitten warmers or a snuggle safe disc are far better as a heating option for taking hedgie out.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I make "flax sax" (lol) which are basically the same thing, but with flax seed... Like Nancy said, they work well for humans but I don't see a point to using one for a hedgie. They cool to fast to be used for long periods of time, and I personally think anything short should be easily remedied by putting the hedgie under your shirt to warm up... but for quick little trips or something I'm sure it's work great! Just be careful if your hedgie digs or bites at it at all.

·
Registered
594 Posts
LizardGirl said:
I make "flax sax" (lol) which are basically the same thing, but with flax seed... Like Nancy said, they work well for humans but I don't see a point to using one for a hedgie. They cool to fast to be used for long periods of time, and I personally think anything short should be easily remedied by putting the hedgie under your shirt to warm up... but for quick little trips or something I'm sure it's work great! Just be careful if your hedgie digs or bites at it at all.
Do these "flax-sax" last a while?
Do you just put flax seed in a cloth sack and sew it up? or do you add anything else to it?
Can you wash them or will it mess up the flax seeds?

I just might make mine some for the winter. (good for trips, after baths, a lil extra heat when needed)

My nephew has something similar that he uses on his feet. but it has flax seed and other herbs and such so i wouldn't use with the hedgies.
His can also be washed in the washing machine

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Do these "flax-sax" last a while?
Do you just put flax seed in a cloth sack and sew it up? or do you add anything else to it?
Can you wash them or will it mess up the flax seeds?

I just might make mine some for the winter. (good for trips, after baths, a lil extra heat when needed)
The ones I made three years ago are holding up well. :) I usually make them as gifts for Christmas. I'm not a sewing expert, but if you sew the edges twice, you shouldn't have any leaks (which is a huge pain, LOL! flax seeds everywhere...) I would definitely not wash one, no idea what it would do but it probably wouldn't be good. I usually sew covers for them which you can wash.

To make them, I sew the pouches out of regular cotton fabric. The neck/shoulder ones are a "U" shape, and then I do circle disc shapes for other things, for example I made two for my arthritic grandmother's knees. Buy the plain, who flax seeds to fill it enough to be full but not unbendable. I also buy cinnamon tea bags and cut them open, and mix some of that in with the seeds, because it smells good. If there is a certain tea scent you like best then go for it!

I put mine in the microwave for 30-45 seconds depending on how hot I want it. They usually only stay warm for a half hour or so.

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yep that helped! :)

Thank you! I will probably make a few of these, I think they will like them :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts