Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we brought home our two new rescues last night and while peach was typically shy, lulabelle had no problem exploring while we watched. she went right for her wheel and sized it up for a long time, then kept climbing in and out of it, totally freaked out every time it would rock back and forth. then she tried using it!

she doesn't run on it, i chalked it up to she had never had a wheel before, and just hadn't figured it out yet...but it is so strange to watch.
is this normal? my previous rescue, hammy, came with her wheel, so i never saw her need to learn to use it. should i just leave her be, and see if she gets the hang of it? she was "walking" on it all night last night, and at some point i worried that maybe using it wrong might hurt her.

what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Walking on it is not going to hurt her. She may never run on it or she may start to run once she feels more comfortable with it. I've had/have many that tend to leisurely walk rather than running on their wheels.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. i'm glad she likes her wheel...she was toddling on it all night (i couldn't sleep because i kept listening to them to make sure they were ok lol :D ) the other is a petite little one, but she hasn't tried her wheel yet...i'll put a treat in it tonight to see if it entices her.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How cute!!! Some of our TX rescues haven't started using the wheels yet, either. Bridget, however, knows all about wheels and jogs all night. I wish she'd show her sisters!

The night after our TX rescues cam home, I didn't sleep well, either. I kept checking on them and I felt like I slept with one ear open all night, listening for trouble! I had the worst headache the next morning.

Are you housing them together? My girls like to snuggle and like to see how many of them can cram into one hedgebag. It's funny getting them out of it to check on them! It's like the cutest clown car ever!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they are seperate right now so they could each have a wheel, but we are getting some pvc pipe to join their enclosures in a few days if things go well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
She does have beautiful markings. Must see some pictures of both of the lovies Amanda! :) Other than your little "stroller" here, is everything else going well with them??

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they are really camera shy, but hopefully i'll get some better photos soon. when i had hotdogs for dinner tonight, i let them share some mushed gerber chicken stick and that was a hit...

other than that i've been trying to not fuss with them too much just yet. peach is a poop machine, i'm still waiting for lulabelle to make some poop...even though i know she is eating and drinking because she does it in front of me. both seem happy at a even 76 degrees...which is good, i know a lot of others have had problems figuring out what temp to keep theirs cages at.

both had already been treated for mites, and seem fine so i'm holding off their wellness check up until next week unless a problem arises.

some photos:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=19026&id=1791281169

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update: lulabelle runs in her wheel the more conventional way now...i'm almost sad, because the slow walk was so cute to watch. i'm glad i caught it on film though.

other updates: everyone is pooping and eating and being huffy and puffy like a healthy hedgies.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
That's all great news to hear! Yay for everyone! :mrgreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts