Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my hedgehog, Lil Bob has suddenly developed trouble walking. Originally he just started to walk with a slight limp but over the course of a few weeks, it's gotten worse. It originally was his back leg that was the problem but now, he's barely using his front left leg. Sometimes he just lays on his side in the cage, and we're unsure if it's because he can't get up. He does try to walk around and gets on his wheel to walk if he can. We took him to the vet who couldn't confirm what the problem was. He did say that Lil Bob has a noticeable head tilt. Right now he's being treated for an ear infection with antibiotics but, we can't confirm that it's really the problem. Anyone have an idea? Anything would help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
An ear infection is a good idea to check for early, as it is a possibility & an easily treated one. If there's no response to that, maybe see if the vet would want to do x-rays or something to check for any spine issues? Sometimes a pinched disk or similar issue can cause things like this. I feel like there are other possibilities, but I can't recall them right now. Did your vet have further suggestions if ear infection was ruled out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An ear infection is a good idea to check for early, as it is a possibility & an easily treated one. If there's no response to that, maybe see if the vet would want to do x-rays or something to check for any spine issues? Sometimes a pinched disk or similar issue can cause things like this. I feel like there are other possibilities, but I can't recall them right now. Did your vet have further suggestions if ear infection was ruled out?
The vet said that it could be a number of things ranging from ear infection to cancer to any type of neurological issue. Thanks for the reply!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts