Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question - there is just so much conflicting information out there!
I have a new baby who wakes up about 11.30pm and plays for hours, but this means it's hard to interact that much as I need sleep too! Some people say its fine to wake them up for a bit to handle whereas other people say its best not to get them out until they're up and wondering about... so I don't know whether it is fairer to get her out, let her explore and get used to me or let her get her beauty sleep!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You can gently wake them up earlier, just try not to make it too early. I usually get Lily out anywhere from 9-11, depending on the night. Some people get them up 7-8 pm or so. Just make sure when you wake her up, to be quiet and move slowly so you don't startle her too much. Give her a moment to wake up before expecting her to be snuggly or want to explore, and keep in mind she may need to potty several minutes after waking up.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
In my opinion getting your hedgehog out during the day is fine as long as you are not forcing him/her to stay up. Provide a little bed or hiding place to sleep. Sometimes if I have a chunk of time in the day I gently lift Quigley with all his blankets still around him and lay him next to me. He goes right back to sleep and we have good long snuggle times.

Basically though it depends on how your hedgehog reacts to being woken up and taken out during the day. I would start socializing in the evening and then when you feel you've bonded try taking her out in the day to see if she's comfortable and happy to either be awake or sleep on you.

What I think that almost everyone on this forum agrees on is not to try and change your hedgehog's natural routine or force your hedgehog to be awake. I don't think many people would tell you not to have snuggle time during the day as long as your hedgehog still gets sleep. (statements about others on the forum are general and based on other posts I have read regarding this topic, I'm sure that if people disagree they will say so).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you - She never really seems thrilled to be woken up - but we will figure it out eventually!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts