Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as some of you know I was going to put my new baby(when I got her) in a plastic tub.
I then took in all of your responses into consideration, and out of luck found this giant home that housed a full grown cat(don't have a clue as to why they kept their poor cat in it) that is made out of welded wire. The spaces around it are small enough for hedgie, but it still couldn't hurt to put coroplast on it. I plan on making 2 giant lofts in it, one of them will be like an enclosed bathroom.
Anyways, should I wait until Indie is a little older and bigger to put her into the giant home and keep her in the plastic bin so she doesn't feel overwhelmed, or will it be fine to just put her in the big cage?

Let me know! Thanks to everyone in advance who takes the time to post!
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
912 Posts
If it's welded wire, your idea to use coroplast is definitely a good one as you'll need to protect hedgie from herself - either squeezing herself (or parts of self) through the holes or climbing up the sides and falling.

I'd probably keep her in the bin as you're fixing up the new home and, if it's really huge, you can always put the bin inside the bigger one for awhile. Hopefully, by the time you have it fully fixed up, your baby will be accustomed to your house - the sights, sounds, smells, people, etc... You can also let her have playtime in the new home before transitioning her to it 100% of the time. During the initial move, you can put her unwashed accessories (hedgiebag, liners --- or a little messy substrate if that's what you're using - into her new place so it smells like home.

Weird someone kept a cat in an enclosure - I'm not sure what kind of cleaning you might need to do to make sure cat scent is gone!

Edit --oops... just read that you don't have your baby yet... so anything you do will be new to her. If you can get the enclosure fixed up in time, go for it. But if it's truly huge and you're worried she might get lost (ie, can't make it from food to bed to wheel), then just block off parts of it... like the lofts you're planning on making... until she gets older.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm dying to see this cat cage! If you can get it ready in time, I'd say let her have it right away, and as suggested just not have the entire space available to her until she gets bigger. Meanwhile you could be working on the other levels, getting them how you want them, introduce her to them as you feel she is ready.

You have really peaked my interest, I love looking at hedgie houses.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, the cat enclosure that I have isn't nearly the size of those glorious mansion ones you posted, but trust me, this one is big. I mean, it's decent sized. I can't wait to get it all done! And when I do I'll totally post pictures and brag! Hehe :D
I've been looking at other people's homes and I just can't wait to get started!

BTW: Is it safe to use those automatic water bowls? Like, the ones where you screw on a bottle of water and it refils the main dish as it gets low? Just wondering ;)

·
Registered
902 Posts
I believe automatic bowls are discouraged.

That being said, I do use them. I chose the smallest one of the Le' Bistro brand and fill it only 1/4 full. Inevitably one of them will put kibble in it within a few days, but I still like to use it.

*edit, here is the discussion I found regarding water bowls: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860&p=20415&hilit=automatic+water+bowl#p20415

which lead me to believe they were discouraged* (if that link doesn't work, its page 7 of cage setup examples)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I personally didn't choose to use an automatic water dispenser because I felt that water needs to be changed daily whether its being circulated or even if its being dispensed as they use it. I change it more than that and opt to clean the dishes and refresh the water in the morning when I first get up and clean the cage for when he comes out for a drink in the day and again 15 minutes before he comes out at night so that its super fresh. However if you are wanting to get it for aesthetic reason or such I think it would be fine as long as all the pieces were cleaned daily and fresh water put into daily as well. For me though it seemed easier with bowls since its dump, wash and refill :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hedgies are tricky little animals who will wade into their water dishes with poopy feet. So an automatic dispenser that's circulating water will, eventually, just start circulating poopy water.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't talking about one that circulates.
One like this: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... d=41848899

You just screw on a bottle and it dispenses as it gets lower.
I saw a pic of where someone was using one.
Also, if a hedgie wades in the water anyways, why not use a bottle? I know plenty that are plastic spouted, which would take away the worry of chipped teeth, right?
I'm just trying to figure out a way to prevent my hedgie from having poopy water while I'm gone to work or something. It'll be fine when I'm home because I can change it. And I work at night, when they are most active so she'll more than likely get it poopy. And I won't be there to change it for her :?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
912 Posts
emilymarieasb said:
I wasn't talking about one that circulates.
One like this: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... d=41848899

You just screw on a bottle and it dispenses as it gets lower.
I saw a pic of where someone was using one.
Also, if a hedgie wades in the water anyways, why not use a bottle? I know plenty that are plastic spouted, which would take away the worry of chipped teeth, right?
I'm just trying to figure out a way to prevent my hedgie from having poopy water while I'm gone to work or something. It'll be fine when I'm home because I can change it. And I work at night, when they are most active so she'll more than likely get it poopy. And I won't be there to change it for her :?
I have something along those lines for my hedgie. It's nice because the water doesn't just evaporate overnight. I just dump out the poopy water and wipe out the lower section every morning around the same time that I'm giving my poopalooper a foot bath. The water dispenser stays clean during the day because her feet are clean.

And, yeah, chipped teeth is one reason not to get a water bottle. Another reason the experts caution against bottles are that hedgies' necks don't articulate in such a way that it would be comfortable to use a bottle. Also hedgies are able to drink more from a dish than a bottle - helps ensure they get enough water.

Edit: I should add that you'll want to look at two separate dishes for kibbles and water. They are silly little creatures who will stand (and sometimes poop) in their kibble dish while drinking water and poop in their water bowl while eating their kibbles. You need to be able to separate the dishes by one-hedgie-length.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I think with the water dispensers the bowls are larger and lower where a smaller bowl wouldn't allow for them to wade in it, I think my water bowl is about 3 inches across. I'm not meaning for it to sound like my way is the best way I just wanted to explain the reasons behind why I chose it in case it helps when deciding for yours :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
My Wilbur has a Water Buddy and a bowl. He is one of those strange hedgies that prefers to use a water bottle and so I set out to find the safest water bottle I could.

I think the Water Buddy's are the best water bottle that exist. The water comes out very easily - hedgie just has to touch the tiny metal prong with their tongue and the water comes out, but they don't leak. There is no need to suck or bite at the metal (I think most hedgies do this to try and get water) but of course being that it is metal there will always be a risk of chipped teeth. Also, the valve does not operate on vacuum principal so nothing gets sucked up into the bottle (saliva etc) and the hedgehogs mouth/lips can't get stuck. Also, because it doesn't leak it allows you to place it low in their cage so they do not have to strain their neck in a manner that isn't safe.

Unfortunately, the company that makes these water bottles has stopped producing them. They are expensive to make, thus expensive to sell (around $20 for the medium size) and not many people were willing to spend that on a water bottle because they didn't understand what made it superior.

That being said, it is still possible to find them, as some specialty retailers stocked up because they know how great a product it is.

I would also like to say that my recommendation for the majority of hedgehogs is a bowl because I do not like to take unnecessary risks :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right. I think I'll just start out with both. the place that I found that pic from actually sells them for like, $12.00 I believe. And at the very bottom of the page there are some homemade looking ones that they have for sale for $5.00, and they are basically the same thing. I'll just set it beside the water bowl and see which she likes best. But I'll also do this as a means of having clean water available at all times since there is a chance she might get the water dirty that's in the bowl in whatever way there may be.

I really appreciate all the help!
Also, what's the best ramp material?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
But most of the kitties in the pictures are just everyday house kitties
Actually, if you look through the different enclosures (there's a lot on there) many were built for Bengals/Savannahs, and there are a few for servals/lynx.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LizardGirl said:
But most of the kitties in the pictures are just everyday house kitties
Actually, if you look through the different enclosures (there's a lot on there) many were built for Bengals/Savannahs, and there are a few for servals/lynx.
I just looked on the front page :roll:
But I've always wanted a Savannah cat. There are some beautiful ones in Kansas that I have wanted for a long long time. Someday, I'll get one! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts