Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my fellow hedgehog parents!
I have a four and a half month old male hedgehog. I was recently giving him a bath where he usually runs around and occasionally laps up water. But today after running around, he drank quite a bit of water. When drying him off, he started to throw up (most likely water, there was no color to it). He always has plenty of water in his cage and is eating well. Was this just because he just drank too much and was running? I read some other posts and others recommended bringing them to a vet right away? Obviously I'm new to the hedge world, I just want to keep my little man safe and healthy.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Did you use any products to bathe him that he may have consumed? How is his activity level now? Is he still eating and drinking normally? Unless he consumed something dangerous or exhibits symptoms I would assume that it's just the amount of water he drank. In that case, you might not need to visit the vet immediately. Hopefully others will give their opinions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've seen other animals (dogs, mainly) drink too much water too quickly and throw it back up. I don't see why it couldn't happen with a hedgehog. If you have a exotic vet nearby and can afford it, it wouldn't hurt to take him to the vet, since vomiting doesn't seem to be common in most hedgehogs, unlike other animals like cats or dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts