1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Woah that cool how deep is that water i want to see if mine will swim lol :lol:

·
Registered
475 Posts
He did look a little frantic. Next time, try putting an upside down bowl (with a piece of fleece covering) ..... or even his igloo would work just fine. He just needs something that he can swim to like a little island. Then he'll have at least one 'safe spot' to keep him from getting into a panic. Once he learns to swim and is more confident, then you won't need to do this. But for first time swimmers, this is my recommendation. Most often they will enjoy the swimming and will go from their 'safe spot' to swimming and repeat this several times. Eventually they will spend more time in the water for playing. But putting him in a tub full of water with no escape and no 'safe place', can freighten the little guy. You can also throw in some small floating toys (rubber ducky, etc.) for him to play with. They love stuff like that. But he really does need at least one spot to feel safe and rest, when he feels he needs it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess it's not the same, but at the opposite end of the drain, it was shallow enough that he was touching bottom. A few times, he just stopped and stood and then started paddling again.

Haha, what a cutie!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PixiesExoticHedgies said:
He did look a little frantic. Next time, try putting an upside down bowl (with a piece of fleece covering) ..... or even his igloo would work just fine. He just needs something that he can swim to like a little island. Then he'll have at least one 'safe spot' to keep him from getting into a panic. Once he learns to swim and is more confident, then you won't need to do this. But for first time swimmers, this is my recommendation. Most often they will enjoy the swimming and will go from their 'safe spot' to swimming and repeat this several times. Eventually they will spend more time in the water for playing. But putting him in a tub full of water with no escape and no 'safe place', can freighten the little guy. You can also throw in some small floating toys (rubber ducky, etc.) for him to play with. They love stuff like that. But he really does need at least one spot to feel safe and rest, when he feels he needs it.
Half of the tub was shallow enough that he could touch the bottom easily. I thought of this all ready. Thanks for the advice anyway. :)

Hedge hogs rule said:
Woah that cool how deep is that water i want to see if mine will swim lol
The water in the deepest end (the end with the drain) is deep enough he can't touch, the water in the middle he can touch the bottom if he stretches his legs, and the water on the shallow end is shallow enough he can easily touch the bottom.

·
Registered
475 Posts
hedgie_love .... that's great that you filled the tub that way. I wasn't totally directing my posting at you, as much as others whom would also put their hedgie in the tub. I've seen many video where the hedgie is put in completely deep water, and has nowhere to rest or feel safe. So, great video and next time, thow in some toys to see how funny it can be!

·
Registered
508 Posts
hah great music! great vid! hes a cutie fer sure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts