Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the weekend Vex began losing quills on his eyebrow. On friday i found one quill and remembered that hedgehogs will lose a quill once and a while, so i preceded to add a new item to his mix. His poop was green as i expected after adding a new food, and before adding the food his poop was always a nice shade of brown.

On Saturday i found 5 more quills in his cage that were not there the night before. It was at that time I Scheduled an appointment with the Thorold Veterinary Hospital in Thorold, Ontario. The earliest the hedgehog vet would be back was today, so i scheduled the appointment for today.

I dropped Vex off in the morning and was supposed to receive a call when the examination was to start so i could come and watch. When i got off work at 5:00 i called the Vet and asked if they had seen Vex yet. The lady on the phone said "no" and told me to come now and we will start the examination.

Once i got there they had vex on a table and he was snuffing around. They assistant put him back in his hedgie bag and i started talking to the Vet. The vet was quoting very very false hedgehog information, and said he could see no evidence of mites by just looking at him and that he was fine and one of the healthiest hedgehogs he has seen. He also said that the quill loss was natural and it would grow back in time. I promptly got pissed off at his lack of information, paid the fee for his incompetence and left. When i got home i let Vex roam the floor of my room and he ran to the corner to do his business instead of using the litter box like he usually does. Mid poop i picked him up and put him in the litter box and he finished his business there and ran off. His stool was soft and green, not diarrhea but also not super firm.

Anyway, I picked him up and saw another two quills stuck in his hedgie bag. I looked at his brow and it seemed red and irritated (i guess i would be irritated to if i lost a quill) but it did not look pink like it did the day i got him. It didn't look overly inflamed, but it did not look normal.

I put him on a blanket and brustled his quills, and for the last half an hour i have yet to see one piece of dander move.

Anyways,

I realize i should ahve hassled the vet more, i didn't like his incompetence, so i didn't want him to run any tests on my baby, especially after he said "i usually put my finger under their chin and pry them open." and did not know how to handle it and kept poking him and pulling his finger away quickly when he got stabbed.

So my questions are:

1) Does anyone know of a good vet in the Niagara Region of Ontario that they could recommend to me. I will be vet hunting again, and this time talking to the vet before bringing Vex in. I am not going to keep paying for peoples incompetence.

2) I know Mites, Fungus or bacterial infection can cause quill loss, but why only the quills on his brow?

I will be looking for a new vet for vex, as i want to know what is wrong with him. He is acting completely normal (besides the washroom incident) and is running on his wheel at night and eating and drinking.

Thanks,
Azyrios

·
Registered
309 Posts
How old is vex? If he is young enough he could be quilling which is normal. But if he is older than around 1year it could be mites , or a re-home stress, or food change. Lot's of things can cause quill loss, my sage had it when i first got her because she was stressed and switched to better food. The vet should have done a scraping ... not just look at him. I wouldnt have paid him , he sounds like an idiot. :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, i forgot to mention he is a year and a half. Born August 1st 2007.
His brow looked a lot better this morning. Instead of looking red it was back to its normal pale pale pink coloring. His wheel was also speckled in what looked like brown poop. There were no actually pieces of it, just smears from him running all night.

He ate the most he has eaten since i have gotten him last night, and i could hear him furiously drinking water through the night. His drinking actually woke me up.

The other thing that woke me up was the scratching. For about a minute he ran his hind foot through his quills. I am not sure if he was scratching or grooming, but it looked like he was trying to reach all the quills along his back with his hind leg. When if first got him he only scratched the bottom of his skirt, and hasn't done that in over a week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts