Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Chip (9 months) might have mites :( I've read up on the forum about them and how I really need to get a vet in order to know for sure. He just has been scratching quite a bit and it seems more than normal. He isn't losing a ton of quills (I think I've seen maybe ten total when cleaning his cage and since he started scratching two weeks ago) and as far as losing fur---there is always random fur stuck to his wheel (in the poop!). He also doesn't seem to be eating as much food as usual---just a little bit more food left in his dish than there usually is. I also am in the process of tweaking his food, so that might have something to do with the eating thing.

I was referred to a vet in Vienna, VA so I gave them a call and found out that they always sedate when handling hedgehogs. Sooooo I obviously don't want to go there...I'm just looking for recommendations if any of you in the Northern VA (Loudoun specifically) area have any experience with going to the vet. Thanks!!

Oh and I better ask about the Hampton Roads area of Virginia as well (Hampton, Newport News, Yorktown, Williamsburg, etc). I split my time between Northern VA and Newport News so if anyone knows of a good vet in Hampton Roads I would be very grateful for THAT recommendation as well!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
This may not be of much help (and you may have seen a vet by now) but I see a vet in Mebane, NC. I'm not up to date on my VA layout, but it's about a 45 minute drive to South Boston from here.

I see Dr. Carter at Mebane Pet Clinic if you want to mapquest it. They have a website that you can get the address from. Sorry if this isn't much help!

·
Registered
372 Posts
You know, it really doesn't sound like mites. It sounds like dry skin itch from too low humidity.

I'd try bringing the humidity up to between 30 and 50% and giving an Aveeno bath with an olive oil dip afterwards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts