Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy baby hoglet needed a visit to my exotic pet vet.
She asked me what temperature i was keeping the babies at and i replied that it is very warm because i have the heat on the majority of the time in that room alone(my bedroom) and that it's usually in the mid 80's.She advised me to keep them at 90f for the first 4 weeks...Is this sound advise?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought so....When i took my hoglet boy in she questioned the temps and when i gave them to her she said they need to be kept at 90of for at least 4 weeks after all they are from africa :roll:
I wanted to point out that actually these were not TRUE african pygmy hedgehogs but a hybrid but i was so worried about "Pickle" i didn't bother to argue the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
from my point of view 90f is far too hot! of course in africa its hoter, but during the hot day the hedgehogs sleeps in cooler places... in the cage they cant escape from the heat.. the best thing is to have diffrent heatzones in the cage so the hedgie can choose by itself where to lie...
in my cage the average warmth is 33C-38C..

what kind of cage do u use? maybe u could face the bars, so that u get a constant heat...

daniela

http://www.northernhedgies.de.tl

(feel free to ask if u dont understand my horrible english)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mum and babies are in a nero 3....The radiator is on mild in my bedroom most of the day and the window futhest away from the cage is left slightly open to allow some fresh air in.The bottom of the cage is lined with newspaper and a covering of veterinary bedding is over that the full length of the cage as pictured.

·
Registered
20 Posts
well, if u dont have any problems with ur little hoglets then y changing anything?

if it is really too cold, you could face the cage from all sites except the front with styrofoam which is saving the heat in the cage.. just remind to leave an airhole in the back so that u have a ventilation..

daniela

1 - 6 of 6 Posts