Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

Well i've had Turbo for over a month now and i was wondering should i take him to the vets for a random check up, i registered him at our vets today, and was wondering do i take him just to make sure he is OK? Or is that not necessary unless he has a problem?

Obviously with my dogs& bunny i've taken them for their injections from when i've had them, but a hedgie is different.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You should always take a hedgehog to the vet within a month or so of bringing him/her home. This is so the vet can do a wellness check and let you know if any issues might arise right away that need to be dealt with.

After the initial check, most people recommend wellness exams twice a year if there are no health issues. This is mainly so your vet can get to know your hedgehog's personality and your hedgehog can get to know your vet. That way if a health issue arises, the vet will know what the normal behavior is like compared to what's going on and will be able to handle the hedgie with a little more familiarity.

Hedgehogs don't need any vaccinations, so an exam is basically just a going-over to check teeth, skin, etc.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Of course it depends on the individual hedgehog for stress levels, just like some can travel anywhere by car and some can't even go two miles without getting sick. The more the vet is seen, however, the more comfortable the hedgehog will be going there in the future--and the better the vet will know your hedgehog so when you say "My little guy has been huffing and hissy and tried to bite me, but normally he's a snuggling bundle of love" the vet will understand what you're talking about. It can also sometimes be an alert to something you may not have noticed yourself so once every 6 months or so is not unreasonable, in my opinion.

Once a year is better than not at all, and some people choose to only do once a year. Ideally, however, twice a year is a good target.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies you two, I will get him booked in for a check up nxt week. I don't think he will have a problem with the vet he's quite a confident little fella when he meets new people :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aw shetland i've posted some of his first day in garden :p

·
Registered
138 Posts
I took mine in for reassurance on his weight and diet and a checkup on his bad eye. The vet did push me into giving in and buying Ender some bugs. I just wanted to make sure we were doing ok and to check out the vet, in case I have to go for an illness.

Having the vet and the vet tech tell me that Ender was the friendliest hedgehog they'd seen was just a bonus :)

Jodi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts