Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided that it's definitely time for Prudence to have a check up. She hasn't been running on her wheel since October, and has recently been much less active in her playpen. For the longest time since October she was very active outside of her cage, eating everything, drinking lots of water, and having healthy bowel movements so I could not see a reason to be concerned.

For the last week she has been a little lethargic and more inactive than usual. When I take her out in her playpen she just likes to find a spot to sleep. She is always sleeping and still sleeping when I take her out to bond past midnight. She seems to be getting up just to eat and poop. She just seems to have no desire to be remotely physically active and it's worrying me.:-( Her cage is kept at 75-78 and her lighting is on 12 hours a day. I have adjusted the wheel, switched the wheel, trimmed her nails, and checked for anything that would cause pain.

I have booked her an appointment this Friday for a general wellness checkup but was wondering if anyone had any ideas of specific tests that I should ask for? I have never had to go to the vet with her for anything but her initial wellness checkup. I want no stone left unturned and have no idea what areas they will want to look in. I know that her behaviour likely means something's not quite right, and I figure this is the only way I'll know for sure.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I think blood panels can be useful for giving an idea of other things to check - if certain levels are elevated, it can point to things like infections, problems with a particular organ, etc. I'm not sure otherwise though...without a clear idea of anything specific being off, I'm not sure if things like x-rays or ultrasounds would be useful at all. Maybe someone else will have an idea on that.

Plus if they anethesize her a bit to draw blood for blood tests, that will also give them the opportunity to thoroughly palpate her body for anything that feels off, and also give her mouth, teeth, & throat a good check.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts