Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! So I'm pretty new to this forum still, but I go to it all the time for any concern I have for my hedgie, Odin. Odin's perfectly fine, healthy, QUITE a runner and is very social (although he does love his "boy time"... :roll: ) He's approximately 7 months old and I love him very much. But Odin's not the reason why I'm writing to you all today.

My friend also has a hedgie, Quillma. She's a very pretty color (and a big girl!). She's 15 months, and very grumpy. She balls up and hisses at EVERYONE and will only uncurl for my friend (her owner) after minutes of just trying to soothe her, and any sudden movements will scare her and cause a fit. Quillma was never a really socialable hedgie, even though my friend has tried to spend hours with her to try to get her used to her scent.

My friend thought that maybe I could help since Odin is very sociable (essentially, the complete opposite). Thus began hedgie boarding school. I have a sterillite bin for Odin, and I had an extra one so I decided to let Quillma stay there. The cage my friend K had for Quillma was like a ferret nation, newspaper-litter like bedding (not reallly, but it wasn't wood shavings! more like compost/cardboardy litter?) and a wire wheel (cringe). Quillma eats maybe 20 pieces of kibble per night and my friend says she doesn't really run on her wheel at all. I changed her bedding to fleece when I put her in my extra sterillite bin.

Odin is recovering from a cut on his toe (I was cutting his nails and I messed up :cry: ) but he's PERFECTLY fine, I promise. I just wanted his foot to rest so I decided to get rid of his wheel for the night(I bought a carolina storm wheel from Larry the first week I got Odin!). So, without hurting my friends feelings about the wheel (I'm going to tell her today) I decided to try something different and I put the wheel in Quillma's bin. IT WORKED! I heard her running around for most of the night, although when I tried checking on her she'd run to her hideout. >.> The poopy-stained wheel that I woke up to in the morning was the biggest sigh of relief I've ever had. I'm referring her to Larry's wheel IMMEDIATELY.

Quillma has to be one of the most severe cases of grumpy/antisocialness I've ever seen in a hedgehog. My friend got her from a reputable breeder, and when Quillma was showing signs of grumpiness, she emailed the breeder and the breeder essentially shrugged it off. I'm hoping that maybe if I try socializing with her more, it'll help with her grumpiness.

ALSO! She's missing an eye (eye fell out and she scratched it out), my friend took her to the vet immediately, the vet declared that besides the eye, she is healthy. But she has very dried, crackly, tattered ears. My friend has tried oatmeal baths and unscented lotion to no avail. I'm going to try this again tonight but I was wondering if you alll have any advice?

Seriously though, ANY advice of any of her problems (grumpiness, antisocialness, ears, etc.) will help. I know some hedgehogs just aren't as sociable, but I'm hoping that at least we can make her not ball up and huff and puff anytime someone makes even the slightest noise. Thank you so so so much for your help!

·
Registered
85 Posts
OMG her eye just FELL out and she scratched it off her face??!!! That's horrible!!! Can that even happen!?
How scary! I would get a second opinion from a vet that nothing is wrong - a diff vet - IMMEDIATELY. She might be grumpy because she's not okay :(
I'm not saying there is anything you did wrong but maybe its something you cant see and she is uncomfortable or sick and that why she is grumpy.
I would be very careful to sterilize between cages too just incase :\
Good luck with your hedgie!!!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
PirateHedgie said:
OMG her eye just FELL out and she scratched it off her face??!!! That's horrible!!! Can that even happen!?
How scary! I would get a second opinion from a vet that nothing is wrong - a diff vet - IMMEDIATELY. She might be grumpy because she's not okay :(
I'm not saying there is anything you did wrong but maybe its something you cant see and she is uncomfortable or sick and that why she is grumpy.
I would be very careful to sterilize between cages too just incase :\
Good luck with your hedgie!!!
It's actually not uncommon, gruesome as it sounds. Hedgies have eyes similar to pug eyes - they're pretty bulgy and not really set far back in their sockets. So sometimes if something irritates them and they scratch, they can come out, or if something's wrong with the eye, sometimes it'll dry up and they'll scratch it out. As long as there's no infection, it's not usually a big deal, especially since they have bad eyesight anyway. :)

I hate to say it, but she really just might be a grumpy personality. All I can think of are the usual things - t-shirt in the cage, lots of one-on-one time to try and figure out what she likes, etc. If she's just huffy and not actually very scared from little sounds, etc., it might be worth not tiptoeing around her either while she's in cage or when she's out, and just act normal. Maybe given time, she'd get used to sounds and stop reacting so quickly to them? When you guys are having bonding time, try to figure out what she likes. See if she wants to be covered up to explore on your lap, or if she's fine without a blanket over her. Maybe she wants to get down and run around in a play pen or hedgie-proofed room. There might be a time where she's more comfortable being taken out, either earlier or later. If you can find a time that she likes, or even just one that works, try to get on a schedule as soon as you can with bonding time with her. Sometimes that can help with grumpy or nervous hedgehogs. Sorry I can't really think of more advice...good luck with her!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with Lilysmommy, maybe she would enjoy running around loose on the floor in a hedgie proof room, or a playpen. I am getting ready to buy one for my new hog Daisy because she loves to run around and hates to be held (except on her own terms). I think if Quillma does not want to run loose she will just hide somewhere and you will know. If that is the case, maybe you can get a winter hat and let her go into it on the couch. that way you can lift her up and she won't quill anyone and she can remain in your presence on the couch, getting used to other people besides her owner, etc.

As for the ears, when my first hedgie Snoball had that problem, I put Neosporin (regular strength) on them a couple of times/day and it got better. Don't glop it on, but just rub in a dab of it. If it is a fungus or whatever, that should do the trick. It worked for my hog.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Would aquaphor work for the ears too?? i know that's what i use on tattoos as apposed to neosporin or vasaline because those irritate MY skin.
Winston has some dry ears and i use olive oil on them but if i could put aquaphor they would probabaly be less oily lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey all! First, thank you so much for taking the time to answer, it was very helpful.
@Lilysmommy, I hedgieproofed my apartment's living room and let both hedgies run free (I don't want to neglect Odin) and me and 5 other friends were just watching them play. When Odin tried approaching Quillma she immediately rolled into a ball, but after a little bit she felt safer and began to run around the room! She even approached Odin and nudged him a little (nothing happened, they were under careful supervision). I had some of Odin's kibble because that's the only thing he eats and Quillma ate some too (and she rarely eats) so for right now I'm doing a mix of her food and his food until I can make the full switch over to his food.

I even had some one-on-one time with Quillma on top of that. on Wednesday I played some soothing rain music and it really did seem to soothe her a lot, it took her maybe a minute to unball and wander around my bed! Yesterday I tried doing the same thing minus the music and it took her 10 minutes to uncurl, so back to the rain music I go. I also tried some vaseline on her ears (I put it on a q-tip and slowly dabbed it on) and I see some improvement so I'll continue to do so. I also gave her a bath with oatmeal in a pantyhose, some aveeno body wash with warm water and she seemed to like it a little bit. Her and I spend maybe 2 hours a day, I really think it's making a difference, I'll keep you all updated as time goes on. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I would be very cautious and really recommend not having them out together again. Even if you're watching, it only takes a few seconds for them to mate if you look away or something like that, and you don't want babies. The other reason is that having them in close proximity will possibly sexually frustrate them both, since she would ovulate being exposed to him and he'll be able to smell her and may become frustrated if they can't mate.

I'm glad she's eating Odin's food, sounds like she approves of the better food! Sounds like you're making some good progress with her, that's great! :) The music is a great idea. Good luck with continuing, and looking forward to another update!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts