Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl Lily is almost 3 months old, and she has developed very flaky skin over the past month, starting with just having a slightly dusty look to her skin, and now its full on dandruff and flaking (no blood, sores, quill loss or anything). I took her to the vet a week ago for very soft poops and lethargy, and she was diagnosed with a bacterial overgrowth in her digestive tract, so she is on a new kibble and live meal worm diet, and taking antibiotics for the next 2 weeks. I had the vet examine her skin and she assured me it was not mites or an infection etc, and that hedgies have naturally dry skin. I'm not worried about her health, just her general comfort. She does scratch, not a ton (and not frantic), but enough where every 10 minutes I can hear her scratch for a couple seconds. I tried olive oil, and it only helps for maybe a day or two, then it goes right back, same thing with oatmeal aveeno baby wash. Flax seed oil never accomplished anything for me either, internally and externally. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've heard of humilac, but I recall hearing a couple poor experiences with it, and would be scared of hurting her.

If anyone knows of a good technique for managing dry skin, please let me know! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
In this forum, I mainly read about olive oil and flaxseed oil as dry skin remedies. If it is really causing discomfort for your hedgie, then perhaps applying olive oil daily will be a better option.

I know, it's such a pain to have your hedgie smell like olive oil. Yuck. Haha.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I wouldn't apply it daily - You can put too much oil on their skin, which can lead to a yeast infection instead. Every other day at most, and be cautious with amounts...Obviously you don't want her to be uncomfortable, but you don't want to create any new problems either.

There have been a couple incidents with Humilac, but it seems to be individual hedgehog bad reactions...If you do want to give it a try, you could try spraying it near her (onto something else) to see if she gets any reaction from smell or anything. If not, then dab just a little bit on her & see if she has a bad reaction. If her dry skin seems to be that bad, it may be worth trying, at least.

There was also another product a couple years ago called Sunshine Factor, that a lot of people used (fed, to work internally) that had good results for some people. That could also be worth a try, if you're looking for some other options. No guarantee that it'll help, but people that had no luck with adding flaxseed oil to food had better luck with SunFactor. You can get it from bird stores, from the vet, or order online (just google Sunshine Factor). It's pretty much just palm oil, it's a bird supplement for healthy feathers/skin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I gave my 3 month old hedgie a bath yesterday because she doesn't have mites either but her skin was very flaky and she was scratching. I used Burt's Bees fragrance free baby shampoo. This was the first time she seemed to actually enjoy a bath! It must have been soothing. Then I put a couple drops of olive oil in the gap between her brows so it could drip down her back. And then wrapped her up in a warm towel and she looked so cozy and happy. Also put a couple drops of oil on her food to see if that helps. Today her skin looks better and she isn't scratching, but she does smell a bit like olive oil haha.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses, I think I'll order humilac to try it, and I'll look into sunshine factor as well, when I have results I'll post them so maybe others will have an idea what to do as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts