Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the beginning i thought that cooper was quilling because he was getting really grumpy and losing quills so i bonded with him without trying to agitate him too much. Its been a whole month now and he is still very grumpy and losing like 3 quills a night, and i noticed that his skin is super dry so i gave him an oatmeal bath. his doctor gave him revolution in the end of december so im wondering if he still has a possibility of mites and also i can see his skin on his butt area...when he curls up in my hands sometimes to sleep, but when hes just standing i cant see his skin. is his quills thinning? the rest of his body seems ok and i want to look around but he gets mad and balls up so its really hard to look around. should i ask the vet for a refill on revolution to put on him or maybe hes just taking quite awhile to quill?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You can try adding some flax or Vit E to the food or directly onto the dry skin patches. Is it pretty dry in your place? I noticed that both my hedgie's & my skin get's very dry in the winter. If this is the case at yours, try putting a humidifier in the same room (careful the cold is not blowing into the cage).

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Alot of times when they ball up you can see bits of their skin between to quills. If it looks like a lot of space without any new quill growth you can see if the vet thinks he needs another dose of Revolution to be on the safe side. If its just small spaces of exposed skin when balled up that's not bigger than the width of a quill then I wouldn't worry about it as long as it looks like that same space repeats itself between his other quills as well. This sounds weird but sometimes when mine is in a ball the front half is more relaxed (quills up but kinda slanted) than the back (slicking straight out)..because of this the front quills cover the small spaces in between the quills but you can see all the spaces in the back.

Sometimes I have a problem of over explaining things so hopefully I didn't make that too jumbled and confusing lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts